WestOz

Friendly Kills - Hex and Uniforms etc

Friendly Kills - Hex and Uniforms  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

WestOz    40

Hope I've done this correctly and Sorry if this has been brought up before, just a thought, may not be possible to script.

There's prob a better way to explain this but will do my best...

Unfortunately there's ALWAYS been a lot of side chat rant/flaming etc re friendly kills via being shot (also L-Plate pilots but can't do much about that), with others non-related to the incident getting involved telling someone to grow-up etc, must be a PITA for admins to monitor etc.

Hex's are part of the game, "IF" all players were in the same group we'd all have hex's on us, see each other as friendly, however some of us like to form/play our own squad, therefor others not in the group can't see the hex, some friendly kill, some react like their whole gaming life has been destroyed by some fkr who didn't pause long enough for their name to pop-up (if it works) etc etc etc.

Is there some way to script that all players see the hex on all other players, but those in a squad also see each other either with a different colour, shape or something?

Also, rather than seeing the hex on players regardless of where they are on the map, i.e. AFK at the base when I'm in Kavala, is there a way to script that they can only be visual for say 2000 meters, therefore know their within the fighting zone?

Uniforms, imo there's to much choice, noobs new to our community not understanding uniform choice, choose a uniform that makes them look like the enemy, get friendly killed, get upset, may think stuff this server I'm outta here etc etc.

If the uniform colour was restricted so we ALL looked the same, i.e. NATO (Aussie uniform would be cool) this may also assist in preventing friendly kills. Maybe could also get rid of all the non-relevant clothing like civilian etc, make the whole thing a lot easier to view/select.

Just my thoughts from what I've experienced in the past and the last few days after having a summer break away from it.

Cheers!

• Nova    1779

there is gonna be tking either way. while hexes decrease the chance of being tkd you would still be tkd regardless. restricting the uniforms to just NATO is a no from me. if we all looked the same it'd just look boring tbh

• Like 4

Brodie0296    78
    1 hour ago, InfamousNova said:

there is gonna be tking either way. while hexes decrease the chance of being tkd you would still be tkd regardless. restricting the uniforms to just NATO is a no from me. if we all looked the same it'd just look boring tbh

It's just one of those things, If you choose to wear all CSAT and AAF uniform you gotta accept the fact you're gonna get TK'd from time to time, besides kinda stops people from being lazy and not identifying targets

• Like 1

Rogmantosh    242

People all look the same in thermals... *popcorn time*

But in all honesty I dislike Hexes at all. There is no such thing as a friendly hex IRL, and no magical hovering name either...
    I don't believe restricting the uniforms would help overall (see point 1). 

It comes down to people learning whats going on and checking their map (not RL either) and those stupid CAS pilots need to start acknowledging that CSAT and INDI lase targets too. Don't hit it if your not called in!

• Like 3

Brodie0296    78
    7 minutes ago, Rogmantosh said:

People all look the same in thermals... *popcorn time*

But in all honesty I dislike Hexes at all. There is no such thing as a friendly hex IRL, and no magical hovering name either...
    I don't believe restricting the uniforms would help overall (see point 1). 

It comes down to people learning whats going on and checking their map (not RL either) and those stupid CAS pilots need to start acknowledging that CSAT and INDI lase targets too. Don't hit it if your not called in!

Even through thermals its not hard to ID friendlies, it pretty much comes down to movement, does it look like scripted formations with not much moving : enemy , does it move around alot and independent firing positions :friendly

• Like 1

Zombine45    177

I'd be in for restricting certain CSAT and AAF uniform items. I think restricting the actual clothing items and some helmets would go a long way, as this is what most people look at when trying to identify a target.

I agree with rog on the point of the hexes; they don't exist in real life and noobs have to learn sooner or later what a friendly looks like and what an enemy looks like.

P.S. Don't ever remove the CTRG gear.

• Like 1

Kyroe    64

i would like to point out some csat items are already restricted. meaning tropical csat gear is the only unrestricted atm which is not the same colour as the standard desert or urban colours (tropical csat helmet is also restricted as well) 

• Like 3

WestOz    40

On 2017-6-5 at 1:13 PM, InfamousNova said:

there is gonna be tking either way

Of-course there will be, whether intentional or not, but there'd be far less which equals far less frustration/negativity most currently experience.

I just shrug it off, is what it is, got taken out a few times yesterday as medic while rev'n others that had been taken out by the same friendly, always gunna have clueless noobs on the server, but when you hear others going off, see all the flaming on side chat, I just thought there must be a way to "reduce" it.  

On 2017-6-5 at 1:13 PM, InfamousNova said:

if we all looked the same it'd just look boring tbh

Not that it matters but I disagree, would be like saying those in the Australian Air force, Navy, Army, even the cops and firefighters all look boring because they all look the same, its a representative uniform which should be worn proudly.

However we wouldn't all look the same, like the ADF, there are variances of the uniform depending role, Air, Sea, various ground etc. Saying NATO was just an example, could have more available, just not the ones the enemy wear.

On 2017-6-5 at 2:28 PM, Brodie0296 said:

If you choose to wear all CSAT and AAF uniform you gotta accept the fact you're gonna get TK'd from time to time

Perhaps for some its not a choice but no idea, you try & explain to them after their friendly'd but its like they don't get it, too much else going on for their brain while trying to learn all the keyboard requirmentsa, something else not in RL, most of us don't wear them so who does, newbies?  so perhaps there the uniforms that shouldn't be available to select.

On 2017-6-5 at 2:48 PM, Rogmantosh said:

I agree, far from RL though, in RL you would know where Davo, Gazza and the rest of your squad are by sight, if near you, face, tattoos, personal tag or wear on their gear, otherwise you use comm's, in this "game" we all pretty much look the same, put a few guys in the same uniform and try tell the apart without using the tech features.

It is handy for squads when working together as a team in the same mission, yet for some reason the hex is still visible regardless whether their on the other side of the country from you.

Nova    1779
    3 minutes ago, WestOz said:

Not that it matters but I disagree, would be like saying those in the Australian Air force, Navy, Army, even the cops and firefighters all look boring because they all look the same, its a representative uniform which should be worn proudly.

you need to remember that this is a public coop server not a milsim unit. and yes we would look different in some ways but it'd just take away some of the fun of I&A

WestOz    40
    5 minutes ago, InfamousNova said:

you need to remember that this is a public coop server not a milsim unit.

Yes I realise that, we ain't anal like that/them. Not sure how that's relevant?

7 minutes ago, InfamousNova said:

but it'd just take away some of the fun of I&A

I can't imagine how removing CSAT and AAF uniforms would do that?

Nova    1779
    3 minutes ago, WestOz said:

I can't imagine how removing CSAT and AAF uniforms would do that?

everyone looking different and unique is just nice

Fitz    1239

CSAT uniforms that the enemy wear on Altis are already restricted as Kyroe said above. All the CSAT helmets are as well, except for the tropical Viper one. Not that many enemies wear AAF uniform. 

I don't think a hex indicator is the way to go. It would make it pretty messy/cluttered (think 50+ hexes in an AO). Best alternative is maybe a green (Friendly) or something if you're aiming at them. One that is more reliable than the default of course.

• Like 2

WestOz    40
    16 minutes ago, Fitz said:

It would make it pretty messy/cluttered (think 50+ hexes in an AO)

Yep, considered that cluster fk, wasn't sure what else might be available to script, even a small green dot, which would still be messy. You guys that script know whats possible & not, seems to be too much lag or something with names popping up for some, or they don't bother to check and just fire.

Dunno, just thought I'd throw the idea out there, see if there was a way to reduce the frustration many show on side chat etc. Like Rog said, not avail in RL, but neither are nor should be non-trained noobs who shoot their own side.

Kyroe    64

the friendly tag is not reliable as it actually goes based on unit detection. if u see someone from afar. they will not have a green friendly tag regardless even up close it sometimes doesn't work as while you yourself can see them. your character most times will not have detected them. as inf sometimes the best course is to press T on the target your aiming at. it will then make it so your character has detected them but even at long range. it would still be near impossible to instantly tell if its friendly... besides. friendly fire while always happen intentional or not as mentioned above. when i wear csat. i accept the risk of being tk'd as its by my own choice. not everyone realises its a risk but those who do and still do it. well they like to wear it. aside form appearance the csat gear provides better protection compared to nato. which is half the reason why i wear it. the look is the other half :p

• Like 2

WestOz    40
    1 minute ago, Kyroe said:

when i wear csat. i accept the risk of being tk'd as its by my own choice.

lol, tired, when I initially read that I thought cool idea, I'll play on the opposition side for a change, mix it up, be fun, then realised I'd get kicked for friendlies...

Kyroe    64

and being tired makes misreading happen.. as well as some thoughts you normally don't get. well anyhow. thats all i have to say on it for now. :) 

Corporal Kerry    141
    On 06/06/2017 at 9:57 PM, WestOz said:

Yep, considered that cluster fk, wasn't sure what else might be available to script, even a small green dot, which would still be messy. You guys that script know whats possible & not, seems to be too much lag or something with names popping up for some, or they don't bother to check and just fire.

Dunno, just thought I'd throw the idea out there, see if there was a way to reduce the frustration many show on side chat etc. Like Rog said, not avail in RL, but neither are nor should be non-trained noobs who shoot their own side.

I have this script. This will show icons on BLUFOR when you aim at them, but it might be laggy with 60 players.

[] spawn {
        ["FriendlyHUD", "onEachFrame", {
            _target = cursorTarget;
            _isFriendly = if ( ( (side player) getFriend (side _target) ) > 0.6 ) then {true} else {false};
            if (alive _target && _isFriendly && (_target isKindOf "Man") && (player distance _target) <= 600) then {
                _markerPath = (configFile >> "CfgMarkers" >> "b_inf" >> "icon") call BIS_fnc_getCfgData;
                _configColor = (configFile >> "CfgMarkerColors" >> (format["Color%1", (side _target)]) >> "color") call BIS_fnc_getCfgData;
                _color = _configColor call BIS_fnc_colorConfigToRGBA;
                _pos = _target modelToWorld (_target selectionPosition "head_axis");
                drawIcon3D [_markerPath, _color, [_pos select 0, _pos select 1, (_pos select 2) + 0.5], 1, 1, 0, (name _target), 0];
            };
        }] call BIS_fnc_addStackedEventHandler;
    };