Matsozetex

CAS Loadouts

Matsozetex    89

After recent changes to the CAS loadouts, some loadouts make little sense in relation to the playstyle of the vehicle. So I am here to present some loadouts that may better define the loadouts of vehicles. Vehicles that will remain uneffected by this will be the Hellcat and Pawnee as their miniguns and DARs fit the playstyle of light, gun-run CAS.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The characteristic advantages that helicopters have over jets is that they should have some form of guided missile system.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AH-99 Blackfoot:

Its stock Arma Loadout hits really close to what the vehicle is meant to play like, it acts as a sentry, guarding areas of the sky with its 4x ASRAAMs (Stock) and DAGRs to deal with some armor. Its stock loadout of:

4x ASRAAM and 24x DAGRs

Is still a decent loadout, the Blackfoot performs well as a little AA helicopter if you can call it that, but one improvement to make it less overpowered and maybe require more logistics while still maintaining its Anti-Amour power is to replace the DAGR pods with a Skalpel on each side, this will enable the blackfoot to kill two vehicles before returning to base as the 20mm minigun is unable to kill armored targets, while the DAGR pods allow the vehicle to spend 4-6 rockets per vehicle enabling it to kill 4-6 targets. Which makes it

4x ASRAAM and  2x Skalpel

Mi-48 Kajman

This helicopter stock is probably way to overpowered in terms of its use on the server with its

8x Skalpel and 38x Skyfire

However to balance this helicopter considering it has a 30mm cannon which with APDS can decimate everything but armour I am proposing two possible loadouts:

6x Skalpel and 38x Skyfire

Which aims to reduce the spam of skalpels by reducing the overall amount of them.

Or

38x Skyfire and 2x Sharur

Which aims to give the Kajman two large missiles, again increasing the logistic burden of having to retreat to the base, but it also guarantees kills for enemy armor

Both loadouts keep the additional rocket pods to give the Kajman an AOE weapon to deal with large squads of infantry or light vehicles.

PO-30 Orca

This helicopter in its orginial configuration is a capable light vehicle attacker fitted with

1x 6.5 minigun and 12x DAGRs

However DAGRs while weak when fired one shot at a time, a whole pod of them can easily kill 3-4 vehicles, similar to the suggestions made about the blackfoot, the Orca would see an addition of skalpel's or possibly ASRAAMs, however the idea of the Orca being a missile carrier doesn't bode well so I am supposing making it fit for AOE damage/Light vehicles differing from the Hellcat and Pawnee in that it receives

1x Twin 20mm Cannon Pod and 19x Skyfire

Jets that are going to be addressed are CAS jets as they are in the middle of an identity crisis. Jets are being kept unique from the helicopters as they are the only vehicles to be equipped with large rocket pods and bombs.

A-164 Wipeout

The main focus on this jet I feel is its cannon, its cannon has an incredible ability to destroy anything, and anything that is has difficulties with can be alleviated with bombs, for balancing this plane I've considered removing the GBU's by restrained from such as it removes the coordination between CAS and JTAC for good effect. I propose keeping the Wipeout with its 2x Mk82's and 2x GBU's along with the 2x Falchion but removing the rockets as (1) the role of rockets is replaced with the main gun of the Wipeout and the Mk82s and (2) the 7x rocket pods are negligible when it comes to dealing AOE damage. Therefore the loadout is

2x Falchion, 2x GBU-12 and 2x Mk 82

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TO-199 Neophron

On the other hand, the Neophron has three distinct advantages over the wipeout: Speed, bomb size and rockets. For this loadout of:

20x Tratnyr AP, 20x Tratnyr HE, 2x Sahr-3, 2x LOM-250G

This existing loadout should be kept to exemplify the advantages of the Neophron over the wipeout. 

Y-32 Xian

Unsure how to change this one, I've been jumping around a couple loadouts such as

2x LOM-250G, 40x AP/HE Trantyr

or 

2x Skalpel, 40x AP/HE Trantyr

Since it can be used as both a jet and a plane (Looking for opinions on this).

I'm ready for any critiques regarding each loadout and I am able to explain further if need be.

• Wait What? 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • thinking3d 1

• Tungsten    69

i agree with the Wipeout loadout, but the other suggestions honestly do not make sense or will just make things worse.

The Blackfoot for example is not a sentry as you call it, its a Light attack/Recon Heli in its stock loadout, DAGRs are not supposed to be anti armor, rather they are for precision strikes with a laser designator or TV guided, destruction of soft skin, light armor such as MRAPs and IFVs and anti infantry, and the ASRAAMs are for enemy helicopters, and self defense against fixed wing threats engaging you, not for going after them.

The Kajiman is stupidly strong for a reason, it is an Assault Helicopter Gunship, it exists to transport troops in, and support them from ALL ground targets, destroying Armor and Infantry, that is what its designed for, while giving it 76 Skyfires would be hilarious fun, it would basically replace the Blackfoot's role for close air support due to better armor, a 30mm gun and troop transporting ability, the problem that currently exists with the Wipeout Vs Neo

The idea of the Orca is to Drop troops in hot zones and support them as they enter and leave the area against infantry targets and MRAPS, and yet again, it would overlap with the Hellcat and Pawnee's roles of light ground attack and strafing as well as removing its ability to do that

The Neophron's loadout is fine as it is, it has a total of 80 rockets, 40 HE and 40 AP to make up for its Cannons spread, reducing that would cause the Wipeout to still have the advantage no matter what you do to it as long as it has 1000 30mm HEAT rounds vs 500 30mm HEAT and 40 Tratnyrs, that's why i put forward the Neophron's current loadout when the Jets DLC came out, to balance that out as well as put emphasis on its multi role design to the Wipeout's Ground attack focus.

And the problem with modifying the Xian is that it runs the risk of adversely affecting the Xian we currently have on rotation with the Infantry Blackfish

Edited by Tungsten

Matsozetex    89

I forgot to mention that this post exists to appease the whiny players who complain about CAS being OP, so this is to strike a balance between logistical expenses and power to operate CAS.

The Blackfoot could easily exist in its Stock Format, but putting DARs doesn't fit the playstyle of the vehicle, with a god-awful engine It cannot sustain itself in a dive and pull up without lawn darting, rather its 20mm cannon DAGRs and ASRAAMs server the role of being an Anti-Armor or Anti-Air helicopter. It has more of a passive role than the Kajman active attack role. So instead I'm asking for a return to the stock blackfoot loadout.

For the blackfoot and kajman specifically their power comes from the Radar system that allows them to "Lock" on to vehicles thats why they specifically benefit from having DAGRs or Skalpels, and because of their once known characteristic of having missiles this made them unique to all other helicopter types

The problem with the Kajman is that a lot of players are spearheading an Anti-CAS movement, often blaming issues and problems on CAS despite the infantry not calling it in or being careless in their lazing. Even calling CAS overall as overpowered despite RoE in place, which has led to the removal of ATGMs on aircraft as a whole. Knowing how whiney some will get if the restore the stock Kajman I am trying to balance the amount of missiles by increasing the logistical effort required to sustain a Kajman by offering less Skalpels or giving AGMs.

With the Orca I kinda ****ed up there, instead of the traditional loadout of 6.5mm minigun and DAGRs it is given the decent, but overlapping loadout of the cannon and Skyfires. Yet again, the Orca like the Kajman, like the Blackfoot should be restored to its original or close to its original loadout. This would still be balanced as the Orca requires a laze in order for the DAGRs to do precision strikes on enemy targets as of the Jet DLC with the addition of Radar.

The Neophron loadout listed there is the current in game loadout with no changes, that just exists as a comparison to the wipeout which is "Totally balanced".

The Xian reward/eegg should have some form of weapon system other than the 30mm, the 30mm works in circumstances where the vehicle is hovering and the gunner can kill targets but it needs at least some dumbfire rockets to be able to do something when zipping around at high speeds in "Jet" mode. The normal spawn Xian exists as transport only and of course the armed Xian will cannibalise the base Xian, however out of the wide reward pool that comes with side mission rewards the chance of getting the Xian, let alone any armed air vehicle is quite low and adjustments should be made to ensure the vehicle is "Worth it".

Fitz    1239

I can't tell if you've tried all the new loadouts (introduced 13/9/17) or not with this post... one or two of your proposed loadouts are already in the game :thinking:

I do agree that currently the loadouts are a bit of a mess though.

All the current loadouts for player-operated vehicles are as follows:

• Wipeout
      • 30mm gun
      • 2x short-range AA
      • 14x HE rockets
      • 2x Mk82 bombs
      • 2x GBUs
    • Black Wasp AA
      • 20mm gun
      • 2x mid-range AA
      • 4x short-range AA
    • Blackfoot
      • 20mm gun
      • 24x DAGRs
      • 24x DARs
      • 2x AA
    • Pawnee
      • 2x 7.62mm guns
      • 24x DARs
    • Neophron
      • 30mm gun
      • 2x short-range AA
      • 40x HE rockets
      • 40x AP rockets
      • 2x GBUs
    • Shikra AA
      • 30mm gun
      • 2x mid-range AA
      • 4x short-range AA
    • Kajman
      • 30mm gun
      • 76x Skyfires
    • Xi'An
      • 30mm gun
      • 76x Skyfires
    • Orca
      • 20mm gun
      • 19x Skyfires
    • Hellcat
      • 2x 7.62mm guns
      • 24x DARs
    • Buzzard AA
      • 20mm gun
      • 2x 'long'-range missiles
      • 4x short-range missiles
    • Gryphon AA
      • 20mm gun
      • 2x mid-range missiles

These aren't perfect and most of them were added on a trial and error basis - Suggestions are more than welcome.

Increasing the logistical effort for each is a good idea, but I don't think adding ATGMs back is.

Tried to remove guided AT entirely, but the Blackfoot still has them. I think it has a pretty crap loadout at the moment though. Like you said, it's not very good at doing rocket runs like the Kajman, so not many options for it. I don't think it should be a "little AA helicopter" either.

I agree with removing the Wipeout rockets.

Some people will probably disagree with this, but I made the Kajman loadout the way it is as I didn't want ATGMs on it and I intended for it to work alongside the CAS jet, if necessary. For example, CAS jet called in to remove AAA threats -> Kajman takes out light targets near LZ then drops off players and either stays around, continuing to take out light vehicles/armour/infantry, or returns to base to continue transport. 

I think the Orca is fine with Skyfires but maybe it should have the 6.5mm gun back instead??

The Xi'An can be changed without affecting the unarmed transport one. It might be alright with 2x GBUs but I think the UAV and CAS jet already perform that role.

I partially agree that UAVs shouldn't be able to lase or request CAS...

I don't think CAS is as OP as people make it out to be though, the Ironside tanks do far more damage per AO...

If anyone has any other ideas for loadouts or CAS in general then feel free to make a thread/post. There is feedback on TS, but it's a lot easier to keep track of and get more feedback when it's on the forums.

Edited by Fitz
    • Like 2

Nova    1779
    11 hours ago, Fitz said:

Gryphon AA

• 2x mid-range missiles

no cannons on the gryphon?

• lul 1