Vulyem

Malden or Stratis - Wasteland 1.4 (New Features)

Stratis or Malden  

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Vulyem    1

Welcome all, most of you have probably seen me in game before, but here I am making my first appearance on the forums.

Now to the subject at hand, Wasteland now has a new version 1.4 with added features and fixes listed below.

[Added] - Laws of War DLC
[Added] - Killfeed HUD
[Added] - Para drop System
[Added] - Bounty System
[Added] - New Mission types
[Changed] - Improved revive system
[Changed] - Improved kill attribution
[Changed] - Improved antihack
[Fixed] - Prone reload freeze
[Fixed] - Many minor changes and fixes
[Fixed] - Eating and Drinking animations

I've spoken to @Unit_3397 @Dak Commstar & @James32 about updating to the newest version and all are totally on board with this, so expect some changes to come in the following weeks. Now I'd like to know if you as a community would like to see these updates on Stratis or on Malden, I know many of you really enjoy Stratis because it is a really great map but my concern was the new bounty system and how that would play out on such a small map like Stratis. Also the Para drop system allows you to call in supply crates after a particular time (Lets say every 30 minutes) these supply crates will most likely cost more then the shop for obvious reasons, also vehicles can be dropped too and would clearly be much more expensive then buying from the store.

Below I'll list a pros and cons for the two maps.

Stratis

Pros
- Better performance due to less buildings and simulated objects on the map
- Easier to get around and get to stores
- Allows for more custom towns and buildings (at the cost of performance)

Cons
- The map can feel a little to small sometimes, often times spawning beside other players and getting killed
- Missions finished rather quickly when on high population, the smaller map size reduces the time needed to gear and get to a mission
- Little to no base building imo due to map size (I could be wrong on this and people just don't like building bases)

Malden

Pros
- Bigger map allows for a more dynamic game
- More options for base building and hiding crates (something people rarely do now)
- A better map for Jets and people on the ground allowing Jets more freedom (Dog fights) and units more safety on the ground due to the map being bigger
- Map size and elevation allows for a more long term game, with setting up plans and stockpiles (something I seen a lot more when we had Malden)

Cons
- More of a performance hit due to more buildings and simulated objects (we might have a fix for removing objects not needed therefore allowing a bigger fps boost)
- Not much room for building custom towns and areas (not really need imo)
- Feels rather big when there are <20 people online

I would love to hear everyone opinion on this topic, and try to think of it in a long term sense as a lot of work goes into swapping maps and updating the base Wasteland. Thanks for reading.

- Vulyem

• Although i would love a change and a new map but, regards to performance issues i have a really good computer myself so i'm speaking for friends and others. Not everybody has a decent PC that can run Arma 3 at a solid FPS or even Stratis putting SG on Straya is going to make the situation a lot worse for the people without a half decent PC or mac xd. Performance issues will be the number #1 problem for SG players if it was to switch to Malden and i can almost guarantee you that we as a community will lose players due to the map switch.

Edited by Chow Muhammad
    • Like 1

Ya Mum    187

I've spoken to @Unit_3397 @Dak Commstar & @James32 about updating to the newest version and all are totally on board with this, so expect some changes to come in the following weeks

can you please let the rest of us know what suggestions you've made?

I liked Malden and when James first released it, I believe we were probably the first and we had a consistent 70-80 players on but it was only new and once the novelty  wore off, players started to leave, the player numbers we were consistently getting simply dont justify having such a large map and it seemed that there were more players complaining about the performance than not.

My opinion is that we probably cant really compare the 2 maps equally because each map demanded a completely different game play. Stratis is more PVP (jets and drones aside) and Malden wasn't.... there was still PVP going on but certainly not to the same degree. A lot more air assets were used back then. 

Base building really has died which is a shame. I've seen some massive fuk off bases on Stratis but i think there was possibly a change in the coding or something that made it so you couldn't do it or something, James or Dak could probably shed some light on that.

Vulyem    1
    2 minutes ago, Ya Mum said:

can you please let the rest of us know what suggestions you've made?

I liked Malden and when James first released it, I believe we were probably the first and we had a consistent 70-80 players on but it was only new and once the novelty  wore off, players started to leave, the player numbers we were consistently getting simply dont justify having such a large map and it seemed that there were more players complaining about the performance than not.

My opinion is that we probably cant really compare the 2 maps equally because each map demanded a completely different game play. Stratis is more PVP (jets and drones aside) and Malden wasn't.... there was still PVP going on but certainly not to the same degree. A lot more air assets were used back then. 

Base building really has died which is a shame. I've seen some massive fuk off bases on Stratis but i think there was possibly a change in the coding or something that made it so you couldn't do it or something, James or Dak could probably shed some light on that.

I'd like to mention a new feature we can implement into Malden to fix a lot of the performance issues.
    This can be used to remove glitching locations or remove totally un needed props to free up fps

http://forums.a3wasteland.com/index.php?topic=3486.0

Connor.    1352

That doesnt remove objects, it just hides them (which uses the network to do so cause its a JIP effect). Don't know if objects are simulated when they are hidden but regardless its worth noting.

Vulyem    1
    2 minutes ago, Connor. said:

That doesnt remove objects, it just hides them. Don't know if objects are simulated when they are hidden but regardless its worth noting.

I just place a system down in La Trintie and removed all "Other" objects (meaning boxes and useless objects) and noticed a 10-15 fps increase.

Edited by Vulyem

Connor.    1352

7Vs2f7d.png

Nn1XqMD.png

you hid "other" objects, not removed. 15 fps is pretty good, I personally don't notice a difference but I have high fps most of the time so its harder for me to judge the impact.

• Wesmart 1

Vulyem    1
    34 minutes ago, Connor. said:

7Vs2f7d.png

Nn1XqMD.png

you hid "other" objects, not removed. 15 fps is pretty good, I personally don't notice a difference but I have high fps most of the time so its harder for me to judge the impact.

I'm talking purely GPU performance here, as not many people have decked out rigs. I don't know how this world affect server performance, only way to know would be to test it on test server

Connor.    1352

I'm not disputing the fact that it improved your FPS, I'm just making sure we understand that you can't remove objects that are part of the map, you can only hide them which is what the module does. Given ur FPS boost I assume it disables all simulation on the hidden objects which is pretty cool and a huge deal in the case of trees and bushes (cause they sway in the wind which I assume takes a bit of effort).

• Wesmart 2

Unit_3397    712
    3 hours ago, Ya Mum said:

The code for that is in french... 

• Haha 1

Connor.    1352

just the comments... the code itself is the same no matter what language u read.

James32    823
    47 minutes ago, Connor. said:

just the comments... the code itself is the same no matter what language u read.

The inbuilt functions called are english yes, because they are standardized. However every variable name, comment ect is in french. Makes the code rather unreadable when everything needed to read the code intuitively is in another language :feelsbadman:

A small sample of the misery

1b923c901e566ed92955db54d01a0780.png