Matsozetex

Lack of Artillery Computer on Mortars

Matsozetex    89

There is no Artillery computer on mortars which essentially make them a direct line of sight weapon, which obviously defeats the purpose of mortars. Can we get this added back in.

• Like 1

• 1 hour ago, Corporal Kerry said:

I thought it was available to FSG units. Just slot in as FSG and you should be able to use the artillery computer.

Nope... If you were playing as a different slot you wouldn't even be able to use it. It was removed but have no knowledge why.

Tungsten    69

On the one hand, i dont mind using a mortar range table to do firemissions, its more entertaining and interactive

But on the other hand, there are just so many problems that mortars and artillery in general have on the server that the loss of the artillery computer on the mortars basicly makes them reduntant.

I mean, your generally having to compete with Air Support and Armored assets for the call in due to ROE, Which Air Support is the go to because its always available due to having both Jets and UCAVs equiped with GBUs, and all it takes to get Air Support is "hey i need CAS on this" if its a Ground Attack Jet, and a lase for a GBU drop, which can be responded to and dealt with in about a minute (even less depending on the pilots skill and a quality lase)

Where as in the off chance that mortars get the call, even with the artillery computer you need a target marked on the map, you need to be in a close enough firing position that your accuracy is acceptable, you can really only engage stationary targets, or predict were they will be when the shells land using the information given by the requester, you need to call it in chat when you have fired and just before the shells hit, and you also need to be able to be able to warn the infantry about in flight shells because barely anyone can be assed to check the map, leading to a higher risk of FF, all this done by a single player who is doing the job of a whole team because there is only 1 slot for FSG, the gunner, and in the time it takes to do all that, CAS can have done the same thing better

and when you take out the artillery computer, the proccess becomes even more complicated due to the nature of the server and the lack of man power in FSG as you need a spotter, an assistant gunner, in addition to increasing the time it takes to respond, and the extra time it takes to find and set up a suitible firing position with good line of sight.

Fitz    1239

@Tungsten Sounds like the best option is to remove artillery altogether :lul:

I will enable the Artillery Computer next update. 

• Like 1
    • Feels Sad Man 1

pkisbest    198
    2 hours ago, Fitz said:

Alternatively Fitz, we make Artillery the only thing people can ever use. No guns, or vehicles. Just mortars.

• Seems Good 1
    • thinking3d 1

Tungsten    69
    On 28/01/2018 at 2:07 PM, Fitz said:

might as well, since the infantry only want the support with the biggest bang for your buck at a moments notice:lul:

And i know your not gonna add a mobile howitzer like i dream of having.

On 28/01/2018 at 6:14 PM, Blue Eagle [+1 CREW] said:

The idea of indirect fire is you have spotters calling out grid references for you, not sitting in the backline left clicking on something and clickin "fire"

clearly you dont know me too well, if the role itself was not in the position it is, i would be doing it all manually, hell i do it anyway for targets in visual range.

Goose_    31

I do like

3 hours ago, Tungsten said:

And i know your not gonna add a mobile howitzer like i dream of having

Some ammo variations for our current one would also be nice.

Snohman    52

I would rather see the FSG as the "Forward Observer" and have them call in artillary over the radio system. you could then have an AI based system or even one of the virtual support providers, so it might be easier on the server.

You could then add restrictions or bonus' depending on side missions / kills/ civilian or friendly fire.

ie; start you can only call in HE motars using the support requester function, but if you resupply the FOB then you might get  120mm guided shells available. complete a side mission and you get a cluster round. hit firendlies and you get re-set back to motar smoke for 2 minutes....