Fitz

Invade & Annex Monetisation

Fitz    1239

This post is to answer any questions people have and clarify some of the details regarding the new monetisation system mentioned here.

The new system now grants access to donator perks on a monthly basis. Every $10 = 1 month. For example, $50 = 5 months of access.

1 month from now (26/3/18), current donators that have not donated at least $10 in the past 2 months will have their access revoked. Unfortunately, Veterans that were granted access to perks will also lose access on 26/3/18 :cry:

It is undecided at the moment exactly what additional perks Veterans will receive in the future. Clarification on how to achieve Veteran status will be posted soon.

Feel free to post any additional questions below.

• Farqman    86

Can't say I am a fan. 

I donated $100 in one hit but pretty sure that was over 12 months ago. Regardless, $100 is more than twice the price of the game!

• Like 2
    • monkamega 1

Nova    1779
    8 hours ago, ★Smokey★ said:

yer but with that $100 that you donated it help keep a server that you want to play on running with out the donation from the people in I & A the server would not be maintained

well thats technically not true since wasteland didnt have donations for well over 5 months and we simply compensated for it

• Pogchamp 1
    • lul 1

Farqman    86
    8 hours ago, ★Smokey★ said:

yer but with that $100 that you donated it help keep a server that you want to play on running with out the donation from the people in I & A the server would not be maintained

I am sure I am not the only one out there that will feel cheated. We donated money with the understanding that we would be supporting the server, and getting skins/white listed slots. I could have just paid $10 at the time to get that, but I felt that because I enjoyed the server so much that I would donate more. There is guys that have donated $200+ in one hit. 

I appreciate the time and effort that goes into running a server like this. But $100 is my limit. The only 3 whitelisted slots you really use is Pilot, Sniper and Medic. $10/m isnt worth it just for that.

• Like 3
    • Feels Sad Man 1

CeeFar    585

Whilst I understand a monthly donation for things like the Altis Life gang perks, I think that for I&A 1 month perks is a bit cheap.

Permanent, even 3 months makes more sense, but as @Farqman has pointed out he has donated over 100 dollars and will have nothing to show for it. 

Farqman    86

I am not sure what the costing is for strayagaming, but using Wombat Servers as a guide. $1 a slot per month, plus 25 cents for TS per month.
    So $100 means someone has essentially paid 80 months worth of access in one hit. Not sure about everyone else, but I wont be playing Arma for 80 months....

Then factor in that I am not on the server everyday, sometimes not on for weeks, So I am still paying for someone else to be playing on that slot, if you know what I mean.

In my opinion, and anyone can disagree with me. Once a person has reached the $100 limit it should be permanent.
    So if you have guys that have previously donated say $20. Get them to pay the $10/m until they reach the threshold, then dont charge them any more. Give people who have reached the $100 goal a special teamspeak Icon or whatever.

Capture.PNG

Edited by Farqman
    • Like 1

Connor.    1352
    20 minutes ago, Farqman said:

I am not sure what the costing is for strayagaming, but using Wombat Servers as a guide. $1 a slot per month, plus 25 cents for TS per month.

You can't really compare us to slot based prices because we don't host on slot based shared hosting. We rent dedicated servers which is more expensive but means our servers don't become laggy and unplayable from processes and servers on the shared machine that we have no control over.

This post is a bit old but it lists the main expenses

• Like 1

Zombine45    177
    1 hour ago, Farqman said:

In my opinion, and anyone can disagree with me. Once a person has reached the $100 limit it should be permanent.
    So if you have guys that have previously donated say $20. Get them to pay the $10/m until they reach the threshold, then dont charge them any more. Give people who have reached the $100 goal a special teamspeak Icon or whatever.

I get what you're saying, but imagine this, everyone starts donating again; then at 10 months everyone hits that 100$ mark, and they all stop donating. Who's going to keep the server running then?

Also, just as my opinion, it seems to me that you're fighting for something you (for some reason) think you're entitled to. You donated a year ago, and the server kept running, you got what you paid for. You can't go into a news agent and say "I spent 100$ on this magazine that costs 10$ a year ago, give me free ones forever!"

On 2/27/2018 at 4:24 AM, Fitz said:

After some discussion, it has been decided that anyone that has donated $120+ in total in the past until 26/3/18 will have lifetime access.

Similarly, anyone that donates $120+ in one hit with the new system, will receive lifetime access.

Might I suggest

maxresdefault.jpg

to reap more consumer surplus and maximize profits. Charge an initially high price, to be progressively cheaper per unit time the greater the donation period lasts, for single entry donations < AUD 120. It'd be more profitable as opposed to fixed AUD 10 payouts. Say AUD 17.5 monthly for 1 month, 34.0 for 2, 48 for 3, 58.0 for 4 ... ...

Point being of such a system would be to earn as many donors' dollars as possible for those unwilling to expend a lump sum payment of AUD 120. I'd also recommend conferring some permanent but limited benefits for this subset of donors through permanent Area 51 availability to increase donation appeal. Whitelisting would of course be reserved for the  AUD 120 donors. That way one could capture the portion of the market who are unwilling to do a AUD 120 donation, yet don't perceive current planned temporary benefits of limited donation were worth the costs.

I hope my wording hasn't caused confusion, I'm not the most lucid of people as I write this.

Spoiler

TLDR because you're lazy like me:

maxresdefault.jpg

main-qimg-0f2e49ccd484d2fd26df6f11a90bec

Shaded area < Green area, one reaps more consumer surplus as profits in Figure 1 than Figure 2.

Revenue Figure 1 = White area

Revenue Figure 2 = Market clearing price X Quantity

1 > 2

Edited by Persona-non-Grata
    Specific example
    • thinking3d 2

webbie    186

As a server owner I can say without a doubt the costs are very high, I've donated here and their when I can to straya, I didn't expect to much for it, I generally donate to any server that provides me with a good gaming experience. I can understand where they are coming from, it's not just cost it's also the contributions made from the community and the costs of running other parts to keep the community together. If you ran I and a on wombat you'd be waiting 4 hours for the server to start and another 4 hours for ai to spawn (just saying). $120 for permanent while steep is still fair, if you get even half the player base to donate that the servers well and truly paid for and won't be shut down anytime soon. I do get though that their are those of you that have made significant donations so they should be given a bit of Leeway in my opinion. I pay for my server myself and develop it, it's something I love to do and I like to have the power to back it. I do get donations to it and that's what keeps it going and it keeps me interested in making improvements all time. I think that line of thinking is transferrable in this case.

• Like 6