battesyy

Another post about mortars.

battesyy    4

Okay, so I've been playing on the Wasteland server for around three days. After I got the hang of everything, I decided to find out what's OP. Before long I was met by a two to three mortar strikes and was intrigued - I went and bought myself one, disappointed by the lack of ammo, I put it away for awhile. A day goes by, and I discover you can purchase ammo/re-arm trucks and tested if they rearmed mortars, which they did... Now before I go any further, I don't want to come across a whinger, since this is quite the opposite. Today for example, I was able to achieve a score of 118 to 21 by simply spamming the mortar across the entire map. So I took the time to think of a way to fix the issue, now I don't know the exact permissions with ARMA and whatnot but if the ability to remove the rearm function on the mortar itself is not a viable option then I believe the one way to fix the issue, if it's possible (probably won't be) you could remove the medium and far distances so it can only shoot a short range. I believe if you can limit the range of the mortar the entire issue will be fixed as you will be close enough to your target that they can hear the shots whilst also limiting where on the map you can be hiding whilst mortaring. 
I've also seen a suggestion to remove the notifications on the map that show enemy locations at gun stores, I don't know if I'm alone, but I rather enjoy that aspect, I know a lot of people do not enjoy it, but when generally each team is generally camping the stores themselves, it's almost guaranteed action at those locations. 
I will not lie, using the mortar is rather enjoyable at times, it does get really dull really quickly, but I think I've had my fun after today. 
If the option to lower the maximum range of the mortar is unavailable, I believe they should be removed, as there will be no way to truly balance them otherwise. 

TL;DR: After destroying with the mortar for some time, the only ways I've come up with to fix the issue is either limit range or remove completely. 

Cheers for reading. 

Edit; I didn't proof-read, and it's like 5:11 AM - I'm sure you will understand what I meant ;)

2015-12-26_00003.jpg

Edited by battesyy
2Lazy2ProofRead
  • Like 1

• Jüstice™.    46

My opinion is next time you want to spam the entire map with mortars dont set up in the gun store thinking the others in there will protect you go find yourself a hiding place...yesterday i noticed you had no weapon while you spammed the mortar fire across the entire map and ran when we came under heavy fire.

Also it's bad enough camping airfield gun store with one mortar but you and Hollywood both setup shop there with mortars...It's not fun for anyone to be spammed by two lots of mortar fire for nearly an hour or more...next time think what its like to be on the receiving end of this constant rain of mortars.

• Like 2

battesyy    4

I understand where you're coming from and all - But we had our reasons for being there, but that has nothing to do with the original post. I know what being on the receiving end is like, it has happened to my group a few times now, but I wouldn't be one to complain because of how much I've used it, and might continue to use it when I'm bored. It's in the game, it's not abusing a gun in any way and if i'm enjoying myself, then money well spent. 

Also, you do realise in most vehicles you don't see a weapon equipped, because I had the same set of gear most of the day, yet again, another point irrelevant to the topic. I don't see why setting up a gun store is an issue, I don't expect protection, nor did I get it as I died multiple times, yeah I got a few revives but it also gave my position away, so the enemy were able to go on the offense, which they did. I also defended myself whilst I was in the gun store on multiple occasions, nor would I have cared if all allies left the gun store - but regardless, I don't see why you bought that up. 

battesyy    4
    3 hours ago, Violee said:

the mortars suck ass, simple.

When you say this, are you referring to the fact that they're not only easily countered and rather useless against teamwork or rather complaining that they suck because you died to one? 

Ya Mum    187

they suck ass when people abuse their use.

The day in question you abused the use of mortars and then started to make fun of the people when you got mortared back claiming they couldn't aim etc etc oh wait then you got blown up 10 seconds later.

I have nothing against mortars if they are used properly and bottom line if people abuse their use and just spam the gun stores like you did the other day, people will simply leave and not play, killing the server.

Outsmarting mortar users is a personal favourite of mine, like i did the other day to you.

battesyy    4

Explain how it's abusing a use, please. If there's an enemy, in a location which is known to me, why would I not use a mortar to remove the enemy? 

I didn't "make fun" of anyone, you were just extremely hypocritical in how you went about whining in global. 

I really enjoy how you believe to "outsmarted" me, when I clearly left my mortar once I reached 100 kills because I was rather bored and a majority of your team were requesting I stop. 

On another note, yet again, like Justice - you come here and post something completely irrelevant to my original post, the post isn't about myself, but rather some ways that the mortar could be tweaked so people don't leave the server because they're too busy whinging instead of killing me.  

Ya Mum    187

Im not going to get into an argument with you but no I actually sniped you from the hill overlooking your position but anyway moving on.

my issue was the fact that you were abusing the players who were objecting to the spamming and when someone did start mortaring you back were reacting by insulting them saying they couldn't aim and how hypocritical they all were. Truth be known I paid for the mortar for the person that was being used to mortar you.

I have nothing against mortars and I suggest you re read my post, because my issue is not the mortar, my issue is spamming like we're doing nothing more.

If there actually had to be a to fix, in my own little world would be to only allow the rearm trucks to rearm the mortar as if you'd just bought it, 3 lots of 8 or whatever it is. Once you've run out then you rearm but that's only IF there HAD to be a fix 

Edited by Ya Mum

battesyy    4

I'm confused to why you don't want to "get into an argument" but still continued to comment, yet again, something irrelevant to the topic. 

A lot of people killed me during the time that I used it, not that I cared, but they never attempted to stop what they claimed the issue to be. 
    I never once "abused the players objecting", I threw some banter here and there, but calling abuse is a bit far. The only exception I would see, would be yourself, because you abused me for using it for a while, then when I stopped using it at 100 kills, which was enough for me, you then jumped on a mortar and used it on our gun store, which was extremely hypocritical, was it not? 

If you read the original post, you would understand that I mentioned the admin's ability to alter rearm may not allow that, so I gave alternate fixes, which if there's going to be people unwilling to attempt to kill someone using a mortar, then they will continue to be salty and leave the server, do you not agree? 

JoeBandit    14

Here's the fixes I'd like to see (and fixes are DEFINITELY required because it isn't fun for the entire rest of the server when the groups spam unlimited mortar fire at every territory for hours on end as has happened the last few nights):

Add an artillery tracker feature as in real life - let us see the direction fire is coming from. Gives a good soft counter without nerfing too hard.

and/or

Prevent mortars rearming - make them buy a new one each time. Means mortars are still powerful but they can't be spammed by groups for hours on end.

or - as you said, remove long range fire. I have seen other wasteland servers do this and it worked well. Mortars basically had a 1km radius.

Edited by JoeBandit

battesyy    4

I like both the ideas, and if the long range option is removable, then that's the true fix - that would work really well. 

In regards to the tracker, it wouldn't work for the majority of players, since they're always too busy typing in chat rather than finding the mortar - even if they know where it is, they won't go and track him down aha. 

Vallenx    70

I somewhat agree that they're excessive. I think the first course of action would be to make them less accessible, in other words, bump the price up to something a little more out of reach. Or just make the ammo more expensive.

I don't use the myself personally, because I'm not a fan of them because I'd much rather shoot someone than blow them up, seems more fun to me.

The only people that will complain about a price increase are the people using them excessively spamming them across the map.

Vallenx    70
    1 hour ago, JoeBandit said:

Problem is expensive or not, once you have one and an ammo truck, you're set for the night.

I probably don't understand correctly because I've actually never used one :$