Farqman

I know this will be an unpopular opinion

Farqman    86

So Altis as of late is getting very rinse and repeat.
Land on the biggest hill, take out everything in sight, then move into the AO.
I propose limiting high power scopes to marksman and Sniper roles. Infantry should be limited to the smaller scopes.

Scenes like this is all too common

20190123190501_1.jpg

• Like 4
  • Seems Good 1

• Zombine45    177

I completely agree, but atleast he isn't also a medic wearing a ghillie suit.

• Triggered 1

Farqman    86

A lot of people wear the Ghillie because of the Bergan backpack, which I personally think should go too. But I will save that for another day lol

• Like 1

pkisbest    198
    1 hour ago, decibel_spl said:

100% agree but it's not gonna change because too many people will cry about it and complain that it's milsim. Sadly...

The only reason nothing gets done is because no one chases it up.

If you want something done, post it, check interest and poll it. Alternatively speak to Fitz about it. To get shit done you actually have to put effort in, which is something people seem to be lacking nower days.

• Like 2

webbie    186
    48 minutes ago, pkisbest said:

If you want something done, post it, check interest and poll it. Alternatively speak to Fitz about it. To get shit done you actually have to put effort in, which is something people seem to be lacking nower days.

?

webbie    186

We are currently working on changes to mix things up a bit. Just bare in mind we are also limited to what the server can handle.

Farqman    86

I just feel that we need to remove the long range ability of infantry.

make us push into towns to engage enemy. Then roles such as sniper and marksman will make more sense. Look at your average grunt in the military, and what would be available to them.

i think the Bergen backpack should be removed, so you don’t have people hoarding missiles. Again this would assist CAS a bit because there would be less offensive missiles on the ground. So infantry would have to call in support.

silencers should be restricted to Recon operators. 

Just my two cents

• Like 2

War Machine    40
    6 hours ago, Zombine45 said:

I completely agree, but atleast he isn't also a medic wearing a ghillie suit.

Depending on what division. Even medics/paramedics can wear guillie suits, like if they are part of a special forces or even recons.

War Machine    40
    6 hours ago, Farqman said:

A lot of people wear the Ghillie because of the Bergan backpack, which I personally think should go too. But I will save that for another day lol

Never a fan of Bergen backpacks. In reality, it's like a huge signage telling "I'M HERE NUMB NUTS! SHOOT ME HERE!".

War Machine    40

As for me, I although I don't have to do it, I still did ground myself to at least 90% mil-sim mentality in this server. The only reason that I bought this game (ArmA 3) is because of it's realistic mil-sim aspect that is not so common with other games such as Call of Duty, Counter Strike, Battlefield, and many more.

So, what I did is that:

• adjust my weapon sway to vanilla (1.1) in the server's option menu
    • limit my ammo capacity to 6 mags only for rifles, 3 mags at most for support weapons (e.i. machine guns)
    • 2 grenades regularly and 2 smoke grenades
    • 5 first aid kits
    • if I'm playing as an Rifleman AT, I'm limited to 2 rockets; one is already loaded to the launcher
    • if I'm a medic, I bring 5 extra first aid kits ans 2 more smoke grenades
    • if I'm a sapper, I bring a mine detector, 4 explosives/1 stachel charge, and a toolkit (for disarming explosives/fixing military assets)
    • if I'm a sniper, I'm limited to 3 extra mags of M320/GM6
    • I don't wear that over protective armor with kevlar arm protection because it's too heavy
    • I don't usu long range scopes if I'm not a marksman or a sniper.
    • Like 4

Farqman    86

On the server you need to carry a mine detector because you get idiots running into the minefield to blow up the tower. They usually take out a few people

• Like 1

Guardian    45
    11 hours ago, Farqman said:

i think the Bergen backpack should be removed, so you don’t have people hoarding missiles. Again this would assist CAS a bit because there would be less offensive missiles on the ground. So infantry would have to call in support.

While for the most part I agree with the sentiment of getting stuck into Achmed #412 from the CSAT Army at close range, I've often found that infantry need an increased AT ability than MAAWS or RPG-42 can provide - especially when CAS is unavailable for periods of time due to a number of circumstances.

For example, if a tank is creating several new orifices in our bodies without consent, we can't get a lase on it and hold it. So having a wire/laser guided AT capacity on the ground is key. 

But I would support a limit on the scopes - then again I'm a little old fashioned and a man of principle

• lul 1

Farqman    86
    1 hour ago, Phalanx said:

While for the most part I agree with the sentiment of getting stuck into Achmed #412 from the CSAT Army at close range, I've often found that infantry need an increased AT ability than MAAWS or RPG-42 can provide - especially when CAS is unavailable for periods of time due to a number of circumstances.

For example, if a tank is creating several new orifices in our bodies without consent, we can't get a lase on it and hold it. So having a wire/laser guided AT capacity on the ground is key. 

But I would support a limit on the scopes - then again I'm a little old fashioned and a man of principle

Yes I agree with what you are saying. But when a one man army rocks up with a Bergen full of missiles and just wipes everything on the battlefield, kind of makes the rest of the AO disappointing.

xGrubx    20

Is this a Milsim server?

Dont think it was ever the intention of making it so. By making further restrictions all you accomplish is alienating a lot of players, myself included. If they want to wear ghillies and bergens and pack AT and long range scopes it doesn't/shouldn't really impact on anyone. If you are sick of landing on a hill and sniping from there then dont, nothing from stopping you from giving different LZ locs to the pilot or driving in yourself or doing something different. Dont get salty cause players in a public server dont behave/play how you want them to play/behave. Problem is that everyone knows each AO and how each AO plays. Everyone knows the best sniping locs, everyone knows the best routes to take, everyone knows there are 6 enemy snipers, 3 enemy statics, 2 AA vics, Tower and HQ. If you want to change it up look at how the AO is set up and how the AI responds.

I play on this server for fun and i play on another Milsim server for the immersion of what milsim provides. 

I dont believe you should confuse the types of servers you want to run. If you want to run Milsim  do it and do it properly so that you satisfy the peeps that play milsim. And if you just want a muck around I&A server then keep it simple. combing the two types is just going to get peeps frustrated.

Id wager most players that play I&A dont want Milsim type of restrictions proposed above because it is too restrictive and counter intuitive in a public server. However if there was a dedicated StrayaGaming Milsim server, id be in that.

my two cents worth.

• Like 6

webbie    186

These are all good points and I will point out everyone likes to play their game their way and that's really the flexibility in invade and Annex. Sometimes I'm full kit carrying the kitchen sink, other times I will go into an ao with clothes and a handgun with 1 clip and make it a requirement to get everything I need from the dead. 

In my eyes if players (much like what @War Machine has pointed out) want to be full mil Sim they can by limiting themselves . 

• Like 1

Nova    1779

i say play how you want to play. not how you want others to play.

there shouldn't be extra restrictions because you (not OP specifically) don't like how others play.

As Grub said, if you want more milsim go join a unit and play a mission every saturday like everyone else

• Like 4

BigRed    133

In light of all that, when I'm not getting penetrated by 35mm Tig fire, I often play as a heavy gunner with the idea of being a DFSW (Direct Fire Support Weapons) unit.  This means, much like OPs photo, that I'm perched on a hill with a big ass weapon. (the dude is carrying the same weapons and sight I would)

That's a legit thing, that's a real role that's done in the real world. If it were to become more realistic, which don't mind, would mean that the .338 and 9.3s would be limited to a special unit similar to JTACs, rather than the gunners of each infantry squad. This would mean I'd have to take a buggy, or some other means of getting large amounts of ammo into an AO on the other side of the map. This isn't something I'm against, but like the others have mentioned it's pushing into milsim territory. 

I've told people before that the reason I ❤️ this server is that I don't have to do my day job, or the nitty gritty of any other. Jump on, have fun with friends, and play what I want. I save Saturday night (and to some extent the upcoming Zues missions) to go through planning and spending 35 minutes cautiously driving to an AO in a vehicle to make sure my ammo supply gets there.

Snohman    52

I think the original complaint is more because of the ability to find "safe" overwatch positions near-enough to the AO.

while not something which you can easily avoid, I think the change recently put in with the red smoke and then mortars definatly helps with keeping peoples heads down and preventing the land-camp-rollover-repeat type situation whitch does turn into a bit of a grind especially when there are heap of people on. 

I don't think limiting the scopes should be the solution. i'm more for "blurring" the edges of the AO so people can't just pick out a "safe" overwatch to shoot from. 

if there's a high point near an AO and fire coming from it. bring in the CAS strikes, or viper drops, or minefields... maybe an enemy "quick reaction force" on quads or 4wd's to head out when the shooting is detected?

Humaine    131

if there's a high point near an AO and fire coming from it. bring in the CAS strikes, or viper drops, or minefields... maybe an enemy "quick reaction force" on quads or 4wd's to head out when the shooting is detected?

I think it might be part of the scripting, that militia do spawn in trucks or squads do appear close to your location, if you stay in a position for too long near an AO.  I think, from times I've been a sniper, I've placed tripmines and claymores near me to keep the area "safe". (which doesn't work lol)

As to the rest of the thread, I like more CQB and if I'm not a Sniper/Marksman, sitting on a hill popping off the enemy is boring af. As infantry I think we should be always pushing forward, getting to an objective, clearing it and regrouping/moving to the next. Reporting difficult targets to the snipers, the tanks and CAS... 

As for scopes, as a medic I mostly use the RCO but I do however keep the Nightstalker in my backpack, as its handy in many situations.