pkisbest

Proposal for the Commander Role

pkisbest    198

So as it stands the Commander  plays a relatively obsolete role. I'm not sure if it actually has functions that do anything at the moment. What my recommendation would be is to overhaul how the Side Mission reward system works. Allow it so that Each side mission gives the players a certain number of points (depending on difficulty of mission). The commander can then use these points to "buy" assets for the friendly forces.

The only restriction i would have, is to limit the Commander to approved users, so that rando's can't just join and buy random stuff. 

I also realise that to implement this it would require a monumental effort from the dev team. Tis just an idea.

• Like 3
  • Seems Good 2

• Josh_ua    933

Question for ya... 

How would you propose the "points" be accumulated? Time spent inside the side mission circle? Kills? Completing specific mission tasks (securing cache etc)?

Sounds like a good idea though :seemsgood:

• Like 1

pkisbest    198

E.g. Completing the Prisoner Mission (arguably the hardest) + 25 points. Whereas something more simple like the radar or the AA mission would be like 10 points.

For things like the secure caches i suppose you could do like 5 points per cache.

Then we can give a value of like 50 points for things like Blackfoot's or kajmans, like 75 for an Armed BF. Then lower amounts for things like Shitty tech's, bush pig, Orca and the like.

• Like 4

pkisbest    198

Some things that would need to be addressed before it would be implemented would by how the Commander slot would be whitelisted. My initial recommendation would be for veterans to have access to this slot. Another thing would be the Commanders not only being biased towards their friends in terms of assets. But again, you would hope veterans could be trusted enough to not be like this.

• Weary 1

Bread    18

I'd rather just get rid of the commander slot than do this to it.

If you want to remove the random reward part of side missions I'd prefer players who are a certain range from the objective be granted points to their own personal pool. At the base they would access a menu to purchase vehicles for points, rather than having another player in a slot who wouldn't have to take part in side missions yet would still be able to dictate what they get.

• Like 4

I have also thought about this position and how it would work within the I&A framework.

Perhaps the points could be found rather than awarded. Similar to the Kavala mission with the obvious markers. Lets say these points could be found around the map, In old AO's, Current AO's, Side missions, Military installations.. etc Securing intel would see high command award the field commander resource points to do things like example. .

• Unlock extra CAS jet when the designated player runs out of allocated units, Or in absence of CAS pilot, initiate a AI CAS strike on JTAC designated targets.
    • Approve Logistics for FOB which would see a AI controlled hemet sent from main base to designated FOB with supply container, each cost different amount depending what function it serves. It would be up to players to organize its defense
    • In order to capture the HQ in an AO the commander must go there and 'transfer command'. Maybe only when the minimum players are on. Like the heli lock out rule.
      and get the F out if it goes into defense or stay and embolden the troops who are defending.
    • Any other task to benefit the troop infield. Think something like warlords and battlefield 2... supply drops and such.. 

Would be interesting if he had his own unarmed grey hawk to get a battle overview, but it could only be accessed by the computer terminal in the tent next to medical.

Just some quick thoughts.

-A

• Like 1
    • Seems Good 1

SkylerBB    26

The issue with doing AI CAS is the programming required....overall it has very little gain and more than likely the AI will end up hitting friendlies due to people running to the location and not being able to call off the strike as easy as a player pilot could. 

AI FOB supply run is also not worth it. It is easy for players to make AI drive to the FOB already....I do it all the time. just make a group, control the AI and have multiple vehicles drive to the FOB at once. 

having the commander have to capture the HQ wouldn't work well. what happens if they go AFK or D/C mid AO? a Commander also isn't a ground trooper. they would be at base controlling the battle not in the battle. 

As good as the concepts may sound, they are somewhat unrequired as can be done already and the programming required isn't worth the hassle. 

However with points being found, they could be something. Random unmarked missions on the map.

like 1 squad in a village with an intel pad on a table for points. 2 vehicles driving around a location that need to be destroyed. Even maybe a small attack on FOB/base which defended gives points. 
    Points should be more just giving assests or even the choice of between assests at end of a Side AO. 

• Like 2