Noskire

New map for the I&A Event server

Noskire    123

The Gods have granted permission for a new map to be used on the I&A Event server. Post your suggestions here.

• Like 1
  • wooow 1

• .Scorpion    118

Modded maps or vanilla maps?

The CUP Terrain mods add many of the Arma 2 and Arma Cold War Assault maps, however those mods are ****ing massive.

Isla Durant is a good standalone.

Noskire    123
    13 minutes ago, RadScorpion said:

Modded maps or vanilla maps?

The CUP Terrain mods add many of the Arma 2 and Arma Cold War Assault maps, however those mods are ****ing massive.

Isla Durant is a good standalone.

I don't think we will want to use CUP at this stage.

• Like 1

Snohman    52

not so much a map, but would love to do an Iron front I&A server for maybe a regular "throwback thursday" or something

• Like 2

Corporal Kerry    141

Lythium map only needs JBAD, and it is very nice indeed. Two huge airbases north and south, this would not require CUP mods. A perfect suggestion. It is from FFAA mod and stands out as a perfect choice, Fallujah requires CUP terrains Core.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=909547724&searchtext=lythium

This would be easier to setup. Perfect for Syria or Afghanastan scenarios.

Isla Duala needs CUP terrains core to work, same with Fallujah and any other Arma 2 map. We need to keep it simple.

Edited by Corporal Kerry
    • Like 1

Noskire    123
    On 4/28/2019 at 2:03 PM, Corporal Kerry said:

Lythium map only needs JBAD, and it is very nice indeed. Two huge airbases north and south, this would not require CUP mods. A perfect suggestion. It is from FFAA mod and stands out as a perfect choice, Fallujah requires CUP terrains Core.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=909547724&searchtext=lythium

This would be easier to setup. Perfect for Syria or Afghanastan scenarios.

Isla Duala needs CUP terrains core to work, same with Fallujah and any other Arma 2 map. We need to keep it simple.

It's a nice map, but combined with JBAD is around 3.5GIG. I'm not sure there would be much appetite for a download of that size for one map. Or is there?

Snohman    52

Ok plebs, ive done the legwork. see below and recoil in horror because it's all opinion and therfore you are wrong.

note - Altis is 270km2. Stratis is 20km2, Tanoa is 100 km2  and malden is 62km2

Vidda - 400 km2 (20km x 20km) - 3.89gb

This is set up as a northern scandinavian area with the map considsting of a number of valleys surrounded by  high alpine plateu. the high plateu is snow covered and has little to no assets in the vast majority of this higher area. all of the detail has been put into the valley areas, some of which have come up ok, and have some interesting features such as an underground bunker. there are a number of unfinished roads that just dont lead anywhere.  unfortunatly the map maker has used a "wet roadway" texture aswell which, along with ALOT of repeated rock textures as cliff faces,  it really draws you out of the experience.  the grassy textures and snow textures in the video above are great when viewed from a distance, but not actually detailed up close.  theres also only really the one main airbase which you want as both the spawn and as an interesting objective.

this also doesn't feel anywhere like as big as it claims to be while flying around. probably a 6/10 map. note that the makers say it is in development, and i agree it should be left until it gets to  a better state

i think there are better options out there. thumbs down.

Lythium - 400 km2 (20km x 20km) - 1.43 gb + requries JBAD 1.91 gb

Mountainous middle eastern / far eastern europe vibe. Two MASSIVE airfields, rolling hills, scattered towns with good sizes so you can include urban contact aswell as countryside. some big hills and terrain matching the vegitation to some degree.  some areas have big distances to cover so vehicles and choppers will be a must. unlike some of the others, it doest feel deliberatly spaced out though to create a larger map. feels alot larger than some of the other maps.

Jbad mod is a bunch of ARMA2 buildings that have been re-skinned and bought up for use in Arma 3 maps. not bad, but known history of glitchy doors trapping people

Thumbs up,  but door glitchy

Bozcaada - 400 km2 (20km x 20km) - 171 Mb (small)

This map is another island surrounded by water. the actual island is probably only about 50km2 (5km x 10km). island is very detailed using the current assets with a number of interesting locations. fits a gap somwhere between stratis and maldern. this map looks to be on par in terms of quality levels with the bohemia stock maps. 

Thumbs up, but probably to small. definate bonus is the small size and the lack of dependency on other mods

CUP Terrains Map pack - CUP terrains -core (593mb) and and CUP terrains -maps (3.26gb)

the good;

• Takistan - 13km x 13km -  good application of a middle eastern terrain, and my favourity from this map pack. definatly a new fighting environment and
    • Bystrica - 8km x 8km small map with hilly terrain. tanoa camo would work with the trees. good number of interesting locations, though river through 1/3 of the map shrinks usefull area. good but probably a bit small.

the meh

• Sahrani - 20 km x 20 km . good mix of terrains, a number of interesting urban areas. uses arma 2 style buildings and walls so feels a bit out of place compared to the stock arma 3 maps
    • Chernarus (summer/ spring / winter options) - 15km x 15km. familiar to alot of players, i would prefer somewhere new and different

the rejects;

• United Sahrani - 20 km x 20 km. Identical to the above Sahrani, although a number of buildings and bridges are now blown up making it harder to get around. not much benifit over the original
    • Southern Sahrani 10km x10km cut-down of the sahrani map above.
    • Zargabad - 8km x 8km - interesting area, dominated by a large centralised airfield and town. really only has 2 different mission "area" so wouldn't suit an ongoing I&A server
    • Takistan Mountains - 6km x 6km. interesting but sparce map. only 2 mountain passess, this doesnt have enough locations to and will get played out pretty quickly
    • Rahmadi - 5km x 5km map, however island is only 2km x 3km. to small
    • Porto - 5km x 5km map, however island is only 1km x 3km. to small
    • Utes- 5km x 5km map, however island is only 2km x 3km. to small
    • Desert - 2km x 2km - to small
    • Shapur - 2km x 2km - to small
    • Proving Grounds - 2km x 2km - to small
    • Bukovina - 2km x 2km - to small
    • Malden - rehash of the arma 2 malden map. we already have the stock malden map on rotation

Falluja - 100km2 terrain (10km x 10km), 16 km2 of city in the middle(4km x 4km). 200mb, however, needs CUP terrains -core (593mb) and and CUP terrains -maps (3.26gb) to work

You get a main airfield, a bunch of fields and large irrigation channels, and a massive city. sure would be fun for a couple of op's, but to me looks like it would get very same-y quickly. there is some diversty in the buildings, but they are still the stock assets. beyond roads and a couple of fences, the map makers havent made much of an effort to make the building feel like they belong there. very much just asset placed on flat area.  some of the areas, particularly in the industrial area are literally just a bunch of crates placed randomly.

i think there are better options out there. thumbs down.

Iron front Map Pack- CUP terrains -core (593mb) + IFA3_AIO_LITE (3.96 gb)

theres about 30 maps, i'm getting bored and sober, so I'm going to skip the winter maps, as only the csat guard infantry have anything close to winter camo.i'm also skipping anything smaller than 6kmx6km because f*you.

The good

• Staszow, poland 1944.  16km x 16km. detailed rolling terrain. no big hills to hide on, but detailed farmland and lots of local towns mean good chances of interesting locations and events

the not worth it

• Baranow, poland 1944 8km x 8km. detailed, but very little terrain height variation,
    • Pella Region, Greece 10km x 10km. rolling terrain. too few locations. obviously made from an old google earth sat image so the ground colours are flouro where they shouldnt be.
    • Tobruk, libya. 10km x 10km. rolling terrain. too few locations
    • El Alemain - 10km x 10km. desert, very few locations of interest and some obvious glitches such as roadways suddenly going vertical down the face of a trench. good for a tank battle but not much else
    • Montherme, Ardennes 1940. 10km x 10km. heavily forrested maps, but few real interesting fighting points. no airfields. some glitches like floating trees
    • Volkhov Forrest, russia. 6km x 6km. too few locations

Weferlingen 20x20km Terrain of Area  that came out with the DLC Global mobilisation today. 20GB! however includes vehicles/ equipement/men/ ect.

NOTE - THERE IS A NEW DLC MENU IN THE LAUNCHER WINDOW, (SIMILAR TO THE MOD MANAGER)> GO HERE TO ACTIVATE THIS DLC ONCE YOU HAVE DOWNLOADED IT

Obviously, this map looks similar to the ones in the Iron front map pack, but on a much higher quality and much larger scale. Large forrest areas, scattered with small towns, fields,  occaisional canals and road. definatly big enough to create an I&A mission on. the problem here is that there is almost no verticality. no hills you can climb to get better view, or hide your helicopter behind. its almost completly flat. this also adds the problem, that now you have zero easily distinguishable visual markers for aircraft.

there's a "borderwall" which cuts the map into two halves, however it's not highlighted on the map, and there are no road crossings across it? alot of roads just end. why wouldn't you add something interesting like a checkpoint?

the map has a bunch of small towns, but no real "set pieces". there are no airstrips, helipads, industrial sites, military bases, or any other "interesting sites" worth fighting over. Having a quick skirt round in the editor with the folage disabled (ctrl+G) shows there isn't even anything interestign hiding in the large forrest areas.

I'd probably look at spending ~ 20 hours adding buildings / places of intereste before you could use this as an I&A map.

Thumbs down

TLDR / Summary

in order of go suck your drum:

1. Lythium
    2. Takistan
    3. Bozcaada
    4. Staszow, Poland 1944.
    5. Bystrica

mind you this is probably logrythmic preference, with lythium being better than the others by a long shot

• Like 2

Hey all,

I've not had the chance to play a game on the event server. So I'm not too sure the play style of it.  If its more serious or casual like the standard I&A servers.

It would be nice to use a map that offers great tactical opportunities in its terrain and structural layout(IE town/city) as well as being highly configurable

</Spitballin>

I have heard that there is a map of Australia. Would be fun to do homeland defense or something like this.

IE
    https://youtu.be/pzXxHe7ad1I
    http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=28882 <- After some research this appears to be the latest version of the map.

For some reason an up to date version of this map is very hard to find or non existent. Perhaps because its not a fictional area... Those chaps at ASIO might not like it.

</End Spitballin>

Anyhow, Those three qualities I think should be sought after in map selection.

-Andre

Edited by Andre Actual
    Updated Information

Snohman    52

@Andre Actual

had a look at the australia map, though used this version via steam: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1182728989

surprised at the quality of the map, far better than most of those listed above. it's a 2GB download, and could work well as and I&A missions.

got a good mix of hills and towns, though not to many forrested areas.

this is definatly had more though to it that the map that came as part of the global mobilisation DLC,