Sign in to follow this  
wyqydsyq

Server performance

wyqydsyq    5

Time someone addresses the elephant in the room.

Quite frankly the modded server runs like absolute shit.
Sim speed sits at around 0.4 on a good day, dropping to 0.15-0.2 when someone connects or a raid is going down. 
There are regular crashes where the server is down for an hour or more if admins aren't available to fix it.

Aside from upgrading the hardware it's running on, here's some suggestions:

• Reduce PCU limit and add some block limits, especially limiting perf-impacting blocks like pistons, rotors, welders, BARS etc. I was actually amazed to find this server has no block limits and a high as **** PCU limit. This is just begging for performance issues.
  • Set up more aggressive Torch cleanup rules - I had 4 different unpowered shipwrecks laying around a station for days, clanging into the ground and causing lag for everyone. I would probably insist this is actually the main cause of lag on the server, wrecks and raided bases just laying around. For example, as a bare minimum there should be a cleanup script running once a day that deletes all unpowered grids of less than 100 blocks
  • Increase server base refinery/assembler efficiency multipliers and/or add the Tiered Tech Blocks mod so players can get reasonable output without having 10 refineries and assemblers that murder sim  speed
  • Add a top speed mod like https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=599536562 or https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1359618037, while it won't necessarily improve performance directly, higher acceleration and top speed makes the game "feel" a lot less laggy when rubberbanding occurs
  • Configure a means to automatically restart the server upon crashing - I'm not sure what degree of control admins have here (is the server hosted on bare metal, a VPS, or some shared game server SAAS?) but whatever platform they're on there should be a way to add some kind of process monitor that automatically restarts the server when the process crashes. e.g. PM2

I really like the modded server but honestly if the performance and stability isn't fixed soon I won't be playing for much longer.

• Sign in to follow this