Nova

Server Event?

Nova    1779

I was thinking for a server event if there ever was one. do a WWII themed event Omaha beach. everyone goes in on speed boats or attack boats. everyone has mk14's iron sight and we all rush the beach. and for the enemies have AI's in bunkers on like mg's or using LMGS. get some mortar fire in for effect. you could even have the ai controlled by some zeus operators.

just a thought

• Like 3

• Qeus    198

get a few ideas together and we'll discuss among staff and organize it. perhaps even make it a regular 1-2 times a month thing.

Edited by Qeus
    • Like 1

WestOz    40

Bumping an old thread but...

+1 to this...

I've been itching for something like this on arma (modern game), enjoyed it on MOH (Medal of Honor)

Infamous idea sounds good, be a blast getting off the boat, up the beach to the cliff/hill, then scaling it to take out enemy in trenches etc

Wow showing my age here, awesome graphics etc lol

• Like 1

Nova    1779
    6 hours ago, WestOz said:

Bumping an old thread but...

+1 to this...

I've been itching for something like this on arma (modern game), enjoyed it on MOH (Medal of Honor)

Infamous idea sounds good, be a blast getting off the boat, up the beach to the cliff/hill, then scaling it to take out enemy in trenches etc

Wow showing my age here, awesome graphics etc lol

im gonna have a play around tonight. find an area this would be good for. might do it friday night. can't promise anything as atmospheric as this but i can try. its gonna work great with the new tanoa bunkers

• Like 1

WestOz    40
    9 hours ago, InfamousNova said:

im gonna have a play around tonight. find an area this would be good for. might do it friday night. can't promise anything as atmospheric as this but i can try. its gonna work great with the new tanoa bunkers

Had a think about this today; (altho I'm a noob with what's involved to put it all together, how the background site functions etc)

1. (Area) Havn't personally researched the locations and distance yet (you'll get the picture) but from memory My mind was thinking up Nth, bit of cliff around a castle isn't there? which I guess could be setup to replicate/include bunkers etc. 

As there's no battleships to carry us all to Gallipoli, then give support by hammering the cliff with their big guns, perhaps we Blue could base ourselves (also respawn) on the nth little island we sometimes frustratingly spawn too (can't remember its name), if there's equipment with enough canon punch to reach the mainland cliff (from the island), perhaps it could barrage the cliffs while troops approach across the sea in boats, then while ducking & diving behind stuff while making our way up the beach to the base of the cliff (or hill), doing what the ships would have.

2. I'm"Assuming"  you're considering running it in the normal I&A server after a restart? Friday night (most nights) can be easily maxed out (60). Considering a special event, most aware will no doubt want to be apart of it. The I&A server will be chockers including casual blow-ins taking up slots (gung-ho for the 1st kill), while dedicated Straya die hards/donators etc that work/communicate together as a team will be disappointed when they discover if they'd only gotten home from work or finished dinner etc with their family 5min earlier they may have gotten a slot with their team.

Rather than this Friday, would it be better to perhaps spend a bit more time planning, organising, marketing etc, setting it up on a separate server, perhaps only open to invitees/donators etc? I reckon we could pull 60 easy, our side squad would have ~15, leave the normal server for everyone else.

3. ("Assuming"  we pull 60) AI troops can be pretty stupid, stand out in the open exposed etc, easily taken out most of the time, even by me as a medic... So rather than use AI as troops (perhaps use them as gunners etc) what about 30 vs 30 (3 groups of 10 each side (min 2 x medics each), one working center, other two working left & right flanks), Blue (Aussies) vs Red (Turks)? All troops load in with the same kit/equipment (depending their role)

Another consideration, maybe a $5 entry fee (via paypal), 60 x $5 = $300, of which a nominated panel of say 3 or 5 could decide the top performing soldier, funniest etc, who would each receive Steam credits at certain values, can be spent on arma or whatever.

Had more ideas but brains fragged now O.o

• Like 2

Nova    1779

i was thinking of getting a separate server as well since I&A server is more public than server events. if we really wanted to we could use the iron front mod and go full out with the actual landing crafts and what not. this will mean it will be americans/british vs the germans not aussie vs who ever.

i like the idea of the pvp scenario. maybe getting 70-80 slots so we can get more people. not sure about the prizes at the end tho but we might figure something out.

ill see if i can get this sorted but might be a while because we would to set up the mission and what not.

ill post again if we can do this.

tell me your thoughts on using mods tho or just keeping vanilla to get more people on.

WestOz    40
    2 hours ago, InfamousNova said:

tell me your thoughts on using mods tho or just keeping vanilla to get more people on.

As ur prob aware some bauk at any mention of mods, either don't understand/trust them or simply too lazy, can't be ass'd, like things simple.

Guess if a thread went up promoting the event, generated enough interest with posts "I'm in" "yes please" etc etc, ppl chatn about it in the server etc, the timid ones may think they're gunna miss out if they don't sort out the bloody mod thing.

What would be easy if there was a link they could simply click on that sorted it out for them, i.e. in the OP it says "Please Note, will require Iron Front mod to participate, click here and it will all be set up for you"

If it were that easy "Vietnam Unsung" or sim would be another fun one to try with a large local (low ping) crew. - http://www.armanam.eu/

Having watched a few youtubes, with a bit of practice, it doesn't look to hard to make a simple mission, espec with the new editor, but what would take @Qeus or perhaps yourself maybe 30min to slap together would prob take my old brain a week, of frustration (lol)

Whilst I'd prefer iron front (or sim) I kinda think many would be thinkn, why we using this old crap gun when we've been spoilt with all the modern stuff, a mix of the two wld be good.

In the end it's just a bit of fun, different to the norm, the challenge of reaching the top of the hill against equally competitive teamwork, conquering, as long as we all have even balanced/restrained equipment (incl u admins B|), even if modern (speed boats to the beach).

Keep it simple.

70-80 slots with all the mortar going off at the start would cause lag issues wouldn't it?

No rush, it's worth doing right the first time otherwise ya get flamed by ungrateful's...

Edited by WestOz

Parko    24

@InfamousNova, I suggest taking a look through some of this guy's videos. He has a lot of play through videos, and just as many Zeus mission videos. Might be good for a few ideas. Leutin09 Youtube 

- I like the speed boat and rhib races haha

Eazy    16

Some guy on /r/arma posted about some kinda insurgency mission from A2 in the thread titled "Gauging interest in public realism"...

"–]breakfasthash 15 points 4 days ago 
    I would love a server like the old MilGo gaming Insurgency servers from Arma 2. 30-40 blufor folks looking for ammo crates while 2-4 opfor insurgents try to defend them(also with town AI units). Those few player insurgents kept things interesting while everyone had to work as a team to achieve the goal. 1-2 pilots, a few tank crew, and the rest would break up into squads. The insurgents from their base would be able to teleport to a town ahead of where they thought Blufor was heading and they would also get notices of what towns they were nearby. The towns that they were notified of they werent allowed to spawn. They would already have to be there or trek it from a town nearby. Opfor would have very basic gear but if they killed Blufor they could take their gear. Its COOP with a little twist. I would play on that servers on my days off literally the entire day."

From that one comment it sounds like a neato mission, perhaps some elements of it cud be taken and adaptd in some ways to the InA mission or for event. something for the brainstorm