WobMinerJames

Mass Team Balances conducted by admins/mods.

Over the last few days I have been involved in, or heard about, 3 different occasions of an admin or moderator getting multiple people on teamspeak (on OpFor) to change to BluFor for a team balance due to a stacked OpFor.

This is a great idea, but seems to be operated in a way that causes many people to feel cheated and wronged by the staff members.

Currently what has occurred 2 times, once a few days prior and once again today around 13:00, a group of OpFor are switched to BluFor on the airfield so that they can keep their vehicles. Whilst keeping vehicles on a team change is just bad in itself, the players than obliterate their ex-teammates on OpFor as they jump back into their tanks, helis and jets after spawning in and take complete control of the area.

If one player was to do this by himself they would be called a metagamer and a cheater, then be banned and those that lost their gear be comp'd for it.

Yet this is happening with an entire squad from teamspeak (the players that do really well and are often at the top of the leaderboards) with absolutely no downsides of switching teams other than a few seconds of not being in the server, this is causing many people to outright leave the server in despair. - I can say from my experience of this the server dropped from 50 players to 30 within minutes of the team balance conducted 3 or so days ago (I myself said "Fuck it" and left the server after having spent hours building up a good hold on the airfield.)

There is a RIGHT way and a WRONG way to do these team balances, currently spawning in with all your gear and jumping back in armored vehicles is just the wrong way, especially when you know WHERE your ex-teammates were operating and logging in practically meters away from them...

Team Balance is needed. But causing several players to be given grief over the matter isn't good.

You can say "Well screw the OpFor team for being so stacked" - but many of the players on that team didn't join it when it was stacked, and defiantly don't deserve to have all their hard work and Vehicles/Bases/Cash blown up and taken by their ex-teammates.

There was no warning given at all in my experience, the 2nd time I haven't really heard how it happened, and this 3rd time today there was a message given in side chat (OpFor) that nobody actually noticed and then once more in global as the newly joined BluFor members are jumping into their vehicles.

I can understand why team balance occurs, but when it happens like this its jut a disgusting occurrence for most people involved.

Any ideas and suggestions to how it should be done would probably be a good thing to pop in the comments!

Admins and Mods have kept the server flow great in my few weeks of playing so I hope this issue can be figured out :D

Cheers ~

Wob

• Like 1

• Links    336
    4 hours ago, WobMinerJames said:

Currently what has occurred 2 times, once a few days prior and once again today around 13:00, a group of OpFor are switched to BluFor on the airfield so that they can keep their vehicles. Whilst keeping vehicles on a team change is just bad in itself, the players than obliterate their ex-teammates on OpFor as they jump back into their tanks, helis and jets after spawning in and take complete control of the area.

If one player was to do this by himself they would be called a metagamer and a cheater, then be banned and those that lost their gear be comp'd for it.

for the two times this has happened it has been discussed by the active admins who were on at the time. For what happened today at 13:00 i have talked to Moderator who was on at the time and they have explained this was done because there was THREE to kill for the whole opfor team to kill. People complaining how there's no enemies, we unlock a squad to change team, and suddenly everyone is raging 

and the First time this happen as i explained to you in teamspeak after this happened all 5 opfor players who changed to blufor they were told not to shoot at the opfor players who were on the airfield until they had taken off in their jets flown around for a few mins, then they were clear to shoot, as for the one player who shot at you and two others while taking off shoot at you when he changed teams he came to me seconds after it happened and offered a comp far greater than you lost he was placed on our player watch list, the other two people were in a attack chopper which landed on spawn island with my permission since there was a outpost mission at the top of the map while they changed team and then told to fly north for 2 minutes until opfor players had moved around, you can not blame them for meta gaming since they did not attack targets on the airfield until you had gotten back to your bodys at the airfield and during that whole day you had been at the airfield in your base you had made.

in my personal opinion for the teams being stacked alot of the time opfor is stacked by is divided between 3 groups, One group at Rogain, One group in the Airfield and the final group is a mix of lonewolf players who play on opfor. ofcourse blufor are going to have rage in global about team stacking but they should be raging at the people on their team who are useless to say the lest , this is Arma you work as a team you will win, as for wasteland on Stratis it is simple if you control the airfield you control the map rogain or south gunstore where you find people "Camping" holds no value all you are going at South or Rogain is killing fresh spawns over and over or the few people who have some gear. 

on a final note we are currently in the final stages of upgrading to a detty server for wasteland then a team balancing script is FIRST on the list.

Edited by Links
    • Like 4

This topic isnt an attack on the staff who have done it. 

I am asking if its possible to change the way in which the team switches have been handled, as offering 100k comp to any negatively effected by the change doesn't seem practical! Especially when many people leave the server with negative thoughts in their heads. :D

Team balancing is needed, but the last 2-3 times its happened there was a LOAD of salt flying about in the wind as to how poorly it was implemented. Even those involved realized it was not a great thing to occur, even though necessary.

Edited by WobMinerJames
    • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Links said:

on a final note we are currently in the final stages of upgrading to a detty server for wasteland then a team balancing script is FIRST on the list.

I think a Arma2 server I played on way back when had an auto-balance script, hopefully there is something that can be picked up around the arma forums/sites?

Links    336
    4 minutes ago, WobMinerJames said:

I think you took this topic as an attack on the staff who have done it.

Its not, I am asking if its possible to change the way in which the team switches have been handled as offer 100k comp to any negatively effected by the change doesn't seem practical! :L 

Team balancing is needed, but the last 2-3 times its happened there was a LOAD of salt flying about in the wind as to how poorly it was implemented. Even those involved realized it was not a great thing to occur, even though necessary.

if i was to do a global message across everyones screen that would just let other opfor people see where they log off.

this has been a matter which has been on the Wasteland Staff Radar for a while we are looking into it and always talking about who gets unlocked and why.

• Like 1

Super Wookie    15

I am fine with this team balancing script, however a warning message or something would be good. Today I was thrown out of Independent and put into Blufor, which made me end up losing the boat I was driving as it teleported me back to a spot I was in a few minutes beforehand. Sure it was just a boat, and I didn't really care about the boat, but I can only imagine if it were to happen as I was flying in an expensive helicopter or jet, or even a tank if I was in a hot location. Maybe if a warning message saying something like "You are going to be team switched in 2 minutes" isn't possible, it could be made to only target players on foot and not in combat?

• Like 1

Unit_3397    712
    6 hours ago, Super Wookie said:

I am fine with this team balancing script, however a warning message or something would be good. Today I was thrown out of Independent and put into Blufor, which made me end up losing the boat I was driving as it teleported me back to a spot I was in a few minutes beforehand. Sure it was just a boat, and I didn't really care about the boat, but I can only imagine if it were to happen as I was flying in an expensive helicopter or jet, or even a tank if I was in a hot location. Maybe if a warning message saying something like "You are going to be team switched in 2 minutes" isn't possible, it could be made to only target players on foot and not in combat?

Not sure who conducted this, but I only move people that wish to be moved. If someone doesn't consent i don't switch them for team balancing. Chances are in your case, this was related to some form of trolling/ team killing, which resulted in you being kicked to indie.

Super Wookie    15
    1 minute ago, Unit_3397 said:

Not sure who conducted this, but I only move people that wish to be moved. If someone doesn't consent i don't switch them for team balancing. Chances are in your case, this was related to some form of trolling/ team killing, which resulted in you being kicked to indie.

The admin online at the time was Links. It was a few people at the same time that got switched without warning, including me. I was confused as to what had just happened and then other people started questioning it in the global chat too. I was switched from indie to blufor, so it was nothing to do with any trolling or teamkilling.

Vertigo    4
    12 hours ago, Super Wookie said:

The admin online at the time was Links. It was a few people at the same time that got switched without warning, including me. I was confused as to what had just happened and then other people started questioning it in the global chat too. I was switched from indie to blufor, so it was nothing to do with any trolling or teamkilling.

Hey mate if this happened yesterday. It could have been when Links restarted the server but there was abit of an error, even my self, I was playing on indie, server did something weird all players were kicked and put onto another team. Just to let you know links didn't mean for this to happen it was an accident that doesn't usually occur. 

• Like 1

Super Wookie    15
    2 hours ago, Jared said:

Hey mate if this happened yesterday. It could have been when Links restarted the server but there was abit of an error, even my self, I was playing on indie, server did something weird all players were kicked and put onto another team. Just to let you know links didn't mean for this to happen it was an accident that doesn't usually occur. 

Ah okay that makes sense then. After it happened nothing was said so we were all left a bit confused, I didn't realize it was just the server being screwy!

• Like 1