Nova

Arma Coding?

Nova    1779

What language of coding does arma use? i'd be keen to get into and learn an perhaps even develop at some point. but i need to know where to start

• Mitchell69    3
    17 minutes ago, InfamousNova said:

What language of coding does arma use? i'd be keen to get into and learn an perhaps even develop at some point. but i need to know where to start

all scripting is sqf 

and most of the other shit is c++ 

It's fairly simple once you get the hang of it. You just need to read other peoples scripts and learn from there. Also reference BIS Wiki. It will be the most help in finding and naming functions and properties along with working out the variables in an array. 

Configs (such as .cpps) are fairly straight forward. Like I said, look at it and you'll learn, the configs are pretty arma specific as you can imagine 

If you have any questions about any of it hit me up on steam. 

Edited by Mitchell69
    • Like 1

Qeus    198

C++ background would help understanding the structures.

I learned a lot from the Functions Viewer (fx) in the editor. Can also be found in the A3 folder:   A3\Addons\functions_f.pbo

The rest can be learned from checking out community scripts and code on armaholic, tinkering with it, and eventually designing your own scripts. On that note, it helps to have a reasonable goal in mind to work towards, to direct your research/learning.

• Like 2