Tungsten

Lets have a talk about the current UAV state

Tungsten    69

So when i was playing recently, i started to get the feeling that people are mistaking UAV op for CAS rather then surveillance and only using the bombs when there are no other options.

I am noticing that people would rather use the Greyhawks or Sentinels over the Falcon or Darters, Stompers overlooked quite a bit as well

• M9'    169

And?

When I play UAVOP, I find the most effective use of my time by far is using the UCAV in collaboration with airborne CAS, one by one, lazing and destroying every piece of amour active within the AO. The Falcon might present it's own variety of interesting options lazing and providing CAS had I purchased the Apex DLC, and as far as I am concerned, the Darter is far inferior to any of the UAV variants available.

Stompers are odd, too say the least. When it comes to providing fire support for infantry on the ground, it can be somewhat useful from a fixed position on overwatch, however it's performance in the thick of combat had been sub-par. Lord have mercy on you if you come across any enemy amour. I have found the experience to be much more enjoyable from the seat of a Hunter, of which is able to transport both the ability to repair it's self and other friendly assets as well as a gunner capable of keeping watch while I sit on the UAV Terminal. Doesn't hurt that it is also much, much faster as well.

With regards to UAVOP leaning too far towards CAS and disregarding their traditional role of the invisible recon element, I have found it comes down to the individual in the slot at the time. Provided they follow the aviation rules and do not engage enemy amour without permission, I believe that they are more of an asset to the pilots in the air (having dealt with AAA positions) rather than a hindrance to infantry on the ground.

Do you feel differently?

• Like 3

Tungsten    69

im not against them dropping bombs, it helps with AA threats and heavy armor, but having UAV op spot infantry positions and notify the infantry about it does cut down on the time it takes to mop up the AOs, a task that is very much suited to Falcons and Darters rather then UCAVs.

But from my point of view, people are too busy juggling the UCAVs that they cant really use the other UAV types. Even with the best of us, the UCAVs seem to take up more of our attention then anything else because you have to get them in a holding pattern, swap between them to spot, lase and bomb, then send them off to rearm, and then land them and make sure they rearm and take off again without causing issues.

That is leaving less time to operate the falcon and darters, which i find to be very handy for spotting infantry or monitoring objects of interest, they even have more stable and accurate lasing, Stompers are rather hands off after the commands are given, yet i see them always at base

M9'    169

You raise a valid point about UAVOP having too much to do, perhaps there will be a time in the future where the one slot is split into two, one being a longer range UAVOP and one being an infantryman with short range UAV access.. an interesting thought. There really is quite a lot to pay attention to when you have to consider other (friendly and enemy) aircraft in the airspace, what runways what UAVS are landing and taking off from and your own personal safety out in the field all the while trying to be both a useful asset to CAS and friendly infantry. Comparing this to any other slot, with only one job at any given point of time, and it seems as though it's a bit unfair for them..

As the UAVOP, I do not find myself having an overly difficult time spotting hostile infantry positions from 2000 meters up with the UCAV, and although I understand how it can be useful a asset for someone who doesn't have access to the larger UAVs, I will always choose the larger birds if I do. Both types of aircraft have their ideal time and place, however I far more often than not find that my circumstance leans more towards the ideal of that of the UCAV, rather than that of the Darter, especially in I&A. Everyone who plays the game will feel differently, and although seeing the darters around isn't (as far as I can tell) common, it does happen from time to time. Each to his own I suppose..

Tungsten    69

Unfortunately, i dont think you can lock people out of certain UAV types by role, its either all or none from what i know, so unless im wrong the only way to really cut down on the juggling is to only have 1 UCAV, and in all honesty, landing rearming and taking off again in a single UCAV, especially the sentinel is rather quick, the Greyhawks only issue is that it needs to climb back up to 2000m afterwards which takes half of altis from ground level.

M9'    169

I'm sure someone out there should have been able to find a way, with or without mods, but I wouldn't really know.

In any case, I actually agree with this idea. Only having one aircraft forces the operator to invest more focus on it, which, pared with the time it takes to respawn, could actually do a good job at both improving the experience for the operator, but also force them to use the other tools at their disposal. Why would I care if an enemy jet is going to shoot down one of my UCAVs when the other is mere seconds away?

Any limitation to the 'UAV' part of the 'UAV Operator' would likely force the role to lean further towards getting out into the field, rather than sitting outside the AO, or even at base, changing it from an aggressive, self contained, fighting element to more of a supporting one. This would actually be a pretty neato idea for the infantry on the ground, and could, possibly, push the UAVOP to be more inclined to focus on where enemy infantry positions are, for both their and the friendly infantry's survival.

When I play UAVOP, I have found the second UCAV to be more of a bother than an asset anyway, usually sending it to circle side mission just in case I want to have a look over there for whatever reason. I imagine there are a lot of people that like having two, but it just gets in the way for me. The idea of the UAVOP leaning more towards recon than CAS, of which this change would encourage, is enticing as well.

• Like 2

Tracuer    92

Even having the 2 available, I only use one at any point in time, I'll leave the second one flying around either the base or the AO, but not doing anything really. Maybe having just the one available might lower the stess and allow for more support roles like you say M9.

As far as I'm aware, the different side UAV terminals can only operate that sides vehicles. Would it be an idea to have a forward operator with AAF darters and allow the main one at base to handle the larger ones on NATO's side. Although, I don't know how to manage a UGV like that, as AAF ones would fire at NATO soldiers.

Another option is just giving them 2 UAV ops that can communicate and work together, however only allowing 1 UCAV while the other is to use the UGV's and Darters/Falcon.

Just throwing ideas out there.

• Like 1

Fitz    1239

It is possible to split the UAVs up between multiple operators, but not something I'm interested in doing at the moment.

I have reduced the maximum active UAVs (Greyhawks/UCAVs) to 1.

• Like 2