decibel_spl

ROE of CAS and Artillery - Updated

decibel_spl    76

As this is an issue of late, here is a list of the ROE in writing.

- Classification -

CAS: Close Air Support. For the purposes of I&A, CAS consists of any fixed wing or rotor propelled aircraft with primary weapons - this does not include miniguns on Ghost Hawks and other transport helos

Fire Support: Fire support consists of all fixed position or mobile artillery.

- The ROE -

1. CAS and Fire support CAN NOT engage ground targets without tasking by ground forces; ground forces are INFANTRY on the ground IN THE AO, the exception is the UAV operator who can designate and call in.

• What is tasking? This is as follows:
    • A friendly requesting a CAS mission on a specific vehicle which can be soley identified among others
    • A friendly clearly stating they are lasing a target from a certain cardinal direction (N, NE, E, SE, etc) and stating what the target is
    • A friendly requesting fire support or CAS, specifing what their requested target is and giving a precise indication as to their location - grid reference, map mark or landmark
  • CAS and Fire Support will not engage if there is any doubt friendlies could be harmed. If you wish to call in support when there are friendlies within 100m of the target, you must call "DANGER CLOSE" to indicate there is Bluefor infantry within the area.

2. The ONLY targets which CAS and Fire Support can engage at free will are as follows:

• AA threats - Tigri and Cheetahs only
  • Enemy Aircraft - Attack helos and enemy jets alike
  • Vehicles who are outside of the AO who pose minimal to no risk to friendlies i.e. outside a 2km radius of the edge of the AO
  • Enemy Watercraft if they ARE NOT an integral part of the AO's at main or side
  • Enemies outside a 100m radius of HQ in the case of a defense

3. For clarification, other targets CAS CAN NOT engage without tasking are:

• The Radio Tower
  • Vehicles shooting at you in the CAS that ARE NOT either a Tigris or a Cheetah - if you are getting shot at by neither of these, you are too close
  • HQ Actual
  • Side Objective Vehicles or infantry
  • Zues Missions

Edited by decibel_spl
  • Like 3

• CeeFar    585

I like your points, and they are valid, HOWEVER.

I fly CAS just about whenever I'm playing I&A, I'm not the best, but at the same time, I wouldn't call myself too bad.

It's extremely frustrating sitting up in the air, asking for tasking every 5-10 minutes with no responses/markers given at all.

Infantry RARELY mark CAS targets from What i've seen, and when they do, they don't specify what it is, or what they want done, usually just a marker that says "MAKE GO AWAY CAS".

Very frustrating.

Just my two cents.

Nova    1779
    7 minutes ago, nclem said:

I like your points, and they are valid, HOWEVER.

I fly CAS just about whenever I'm playing I&A, I'm not the best, but at the same time, I wouldn't call myself too bad.

It's extremely frustrating sitting up in the air, asking for tasking every 5-10 minutes with no responses/markers given at all.

Infantry RARELY mark CAS targets from What i've seen, and when they do, they don't specify what it is, or what they want done, usually just a marker that says "MAKE GO AWAY CAS".

Very frustrating.

Just my two cents.

it can be frustrating but it is the rules. Cas is not to engage unless called in.

decibel_spl    76

Well unfortunately, that's just the price to pay flying CAS. Contrary to popular belief, it's not as interesting as people want it to be. The amazing thing is, if people understand this post and understand that the pilot up in the most powerful tool in the game is waiting for them, they will use it and it will be interesting. Just a case of education

Edited by decibel_spl

CeeFar    585
    Just now, InfamousNova said:

it can be frustrating but it is the rules. Cas is not to engage unless called in.

What's the point of having an amazing tool that goes BRRRRTTTTT if you aren't going to utilise it. 

Just my opinion. 

Lotza    522

As stated already, the rules to say that you need to wait to be called in to utilize the CAS on a variety of targets. So in saying this, the CAS role is not for everyone, if your just wanting to fly around and shoot at things, set up a scenario on the editor.
    CAS can still be used on Tigris's and Cheetahs for ground targets, and can still hit air targets. 
    If your getting tired of waiting, drop a message in chat saying CAS is standing by or just switch out to a transport pilot for a while.

And this shall be accompanied by two A-10 memes.
    https://i.imgflip.com/u2rf0.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/9oMUS1t.jpg

• Like 3

Nova    1779
    29 minutes ago, vortex1018 said:

Should bring back AGMs if you're gonna castrate the CAS with rules like these.

Agms too op the pilots have been doing fine without them. 

And this is just expanding on the rule that can must be called in

vortex1018    14
    4 minutes ago, InfamousNova said:

Agms too op the pilots have been doing fine without them. 

And this is just expanding on the rule that can must be called in

If they gotta be called in anyway, what difference does it make? Not all the time inf have lase, certainly not when they mark "CAS PLZ HELP" on map. Mind you I haven't flown CAS since we started doing the 1 plane per AO thing (too much responsibility for me haha). But as inf, when we're pinned and are shitting our jocks in some ditch, AGMs could save our arses. AGM makes a difference, especially when there's MPADS around every corner.

Tracuer    92

The trouble would be, it's too easy to then lock onto a target and shoot it without permission, so pilots would be more tempted to do so. Also, where is the fun in it! I'd get so bored being CAS shooting ATGMs at everything from 4 kms out without any threat. The fixed wing flight model is boring enough as is, at least you're challenged to hit your targets without the ability of the ATGMs. Which results in better pilots all round, if a pilot depends on the ATGMs, they won't gain skills that they currently are because we don't have them.

• Like 1

Kyroe    64

ATGMS have a massive range to hit targets from. (tested with Skalpel ATGMS.) they can travel up to roughly a max of 8.6km before detonating mid air(the more you know). I do enjoy my atgms but i do not need to use them. more situational. but as so without them being active. it adds more of a challenge and perspective for CAS pilots. a decent pilot can still manage a gun run on a specified target from over 2km away. and still AA threats and air targets are no joke. specifically when an AA battery is up

• Like 2