Warrigal

Friendly Fire - how can I avoid it?

Warrigal    0

Hi All,

First up I would like to make a public apology for any friendly fire I have caused; I'm sorry, it wasn't intentional. I was playing last night at about 2000 hrs AEST on a night mission; using thermal makes it easy to pick out targets, but difficult to id uniforms, I'm very careful to identify friend from foe and usually check the map as a precaution. But in this circumstance there wasn't time and no identification popped up as I held aim on the target! I't is obvious now Arma id doesn't work all of the time!

I was on the CAS/Air teamspeak channel, which is really the only TS channel anyone uses and the player I shot only used text chat to tell me off. Obviously some people are playing without radio comms to the detriment of the team!

This topic has no doubt been done to death over the years but none the less I could do with some advice on how I can avoid FF in the future?

Cheers

Warrigal

• Zombine45    177

Well, my advice would be only use thermals to identify a target, then turn thermals off, check map and have a good look at them. Are they moving like an enemy? Are they shooting at you? Stuff like that.

Also, a good technique i use with the map is to put my personal waypoint on the nearest friendly to the spot where I'm seeing this 'enemy', if your mark comes up on the enemy you're looking at, they aren't an enemy.

Aside from all that, friendly fire incidents happen to everyone(And at some point or another they will happen), best to not get hung up on it. In the moment, say sorry. If the person you killed wants to take it further than that, ignore them. You said you're sorry and that's all you can do.

• Like 3

Matsozetex    89

Couple steps I follow to not teamkill:

1. Look for the helmet, CSAT especially have larger helmets that are more eggshaped.

2. Look for movement, AI have a generally linear way of moving, they move in a single direction, pivot, then move in another.

3. Look for uniform, CSAT have the Grey/Brown camo, AAF has the green camo. If a teammate is wearing Viper/AAF/CSAT gear and gets shot by you. It is their fault for dressing like an idiot, but I reccomend that you still apoligize.

*4. Don't use thermal scopes, its not an do all end all tip but thermal scopes provide lackluster information when it comes to IFF (Identifying friend or foe).

Hope these things help you, obviously the thermal scope only applies to new players but its still a good reminder of its trade off.

• Like 1