SecroNiTE

Deployable Cover (Sandbags)

SecroNiTE    11

I've played in some servers where infantry can deploy sandbags wherever they are to provide limited cover. If it's possible I'd recommend restricting the construction of field defenses to only one role, this will stop everyone from creating them and lagging out the server. The way I saw it implemented meant that a player could only deploy sandbags once and then had to pack them away before they could redeploy them somewhere else (to avoid duplicates and sandbag forts being built). If field defenses are limited to a single unit then hopefully it will promote communication and teamwork as machine gunners  request sandbags in certain areas etc...

This is the closest photo I could find to illustrate what I'm talking about. The ArmA 3 sandbag wall was only half the height of the one in the photo and didn't form such an igloo shape. 

This isn't an urgent request in any way, and to be honest I wouldn't at all be disappointed if it wasn't added to the I&A server. Just thought I'd bring it to everyone's attention. :)  

• Like 1

• SpiderDeX    36

Maybe make it to where they are an item that takes up space in the inventory and (like launchers) they would get removed when any role but the "builder" equipped it? By making them large in size this removes the problem of sandbag forts and possibly making them disappear if not packed up after say 10m? This all depends on whether it can be implemented (I don't know much of the limitations of Arma coding :P)

SecroNiTE    11

Making it an in-game item that can be added to/removed from backpacks is more complicated than a script that simply spawns the sandbags on the player's location. Whilst your suggestion makes perfect sense and would be amazing I think the sandbag deployment script which is a scrollwheel option (like earplugs, player HUD and enable jump) would be much simpler to add to the server. I didn't get a change to look at the code but I imagine it just used a simple Boolean expression to check whether the player had deployed the sandbags already ie. if SB_deployed = True then it won't deploy anymore sandbags. If the deployment of sandbags is limited to just one role then that's maybe 3-5 players in the entire server who have the ability to deploy sandbag cover (no chance to build a decent fort with 3-5 guys).

Tiggati    1067

This would be awesome to have in the I&A server! Better than trying to find a rock or something. You could set up a temp defence area to keep pushing forward :P 

LOVE IT :D!@@%#@%^!!! 

Qeus    198

I don't think its a good addition to the Action Menu.

What sort of interface would people like, to select/deploy it? If you've seen a good interface for deploying sandbags on another gamemode or server, let me know.

There are no plans to start coding it yet, but sketching together some thoughts of how to do it properly, so things are speedy and correct when the time comes.

In-game item which goes into your backpack is out of the question, as this requires patching and addons, which requires people to have the addon to join the server. In the interest of keeping vanilla and accessible to everyone, would be a virtual item, when used a sandbag is created, perhaps with some ability to move it prior to placement.

Edited by Qeus

I've Seen This In Some Insurgency Servers, And Yes It is a Good Idea but it can just make it to easy because instead of clearing the area or dragging a guy from a open field to Heal Them. just placing a sandbag wall just makes it so much easier, Plus I feel like using The Cover Around you is More better as it makes you feel like your in a war zone, Not in Team Fortress 2 As a Engineer. And Yes I&A is Not really Realism I don't Think They would Do this in Reality. I Also Feel that finding Cover More Fun Then placing Cover.

Over And Out.

dasweetdude    327

I do agree though it would take some of the fun away from finding cover and no they might not do it in reality, but spose it depends on how long it takes to deploy the sandbags ect.There are new things coming into annex at the moment so should be good to see some of the new things and see how players feel about them when they are implemented.

• Like 1

Violee    77

i foresee this could become a potential avenue for griefing (spawning cover under helis in spawn, spawning cover on people) would it be possible to control that in I&A?

BruhBea    1
    2 hours ago, Violee said:

i foresee this could become a potential avenue for griefing (spawning cover under helis in spawn, spawning cover on people) would it be possible to control that in I&A?

You could limit it and not allow them to be placed in base, as for the players, depends if it spawns a physx object or not (which it most likely would)

Kalthramis    58

Not to revive a dead horse, but my 0.02 is nay. There's too many problems for a relatively worthless system.

indeed, it also discourages claiming the HQ. Why take and use the HQ as a FOB when you can just make a fort of sandbags?