Artorias

Headless client

Artorias    3

Howdy fellas, Hope ya'll are doing swell.

We've all encountered bad FPS and performance issues before in the I&A server. It's nothing new. However, when someone brings up performance issues in the TS (which apparently now needs security?) it always comes back to one discussion. Headless client. So far, I've not done too much research into the topic but I've got the basic premise. Hosting AI on another server so as to not have one server doing everything (rendering, AI geographic positioning, texturing, player movement, etc. all of those tasks will screw with FPS) think of it like having a computer with multiple cores. It divides the tasks up and thus improves FPS. It also has some added bonuses when it comes to Arma, the AI's skill scales with the server FPS, So if we were to invest in a headless client option, the AI would prove to be more of a challenge and make for some awesome gameplay and give a bit more of a challenge. 

Overall, Though what I have read states that a headless client option is not super expensive, it certainly isn't free. But despite this I think that the pros outweigh the cons here as the server maxes out population almost everyday just adding to the server load and making some of the folks whom have the less expensive rigs receive some pretty bad fps drops. You could argue that its a matter of hardware but I beg to differ, other servers (not running I&A) will give you fine fps with even more mods/addons installed and with over 100 folks on, So it can't be bad hardware.

I think that if the admins have some spare time, they should look into the headless client option, I for one would love to see this server reaching its fullest potential with noone complaining about fps in the future and AI that is as good as if not better than the player? sign me up! 

What do you think? Think we should give Headless client a go? or stick with it as is? let me know, I'd love to see all what you guys think. 

Later fellas! Have a lovely day.

-Arty

• Like 2

• Ora209    142

I dont know if its just me but i rarely get any memory leaks on the high performance server... the only fps drop i get is from my pc... dispite the fact i have an i7 quad core my graphics card is fairly outdated so that means my fps sometimes drops from 50 to around 39-40 but other than that i probs wouldnt notice a difference... but yeah this obviously wouldnt apply for everyone else.

Zombine45    177
    4 hours ago, Fitz said:

It doesn't. There were some issues implementing it I think. Quik has the details.

Oh, well now i feel silly >.<

=S.N.A.F.U.=    92
    15 hours ago, Ora209 said:

I dont know if its just me but i rarely get any memory leaks on the high performance server... the only fps drop i get is from my pc... dispite the fact i have an i7 quad core my graphics card is fairly outdated so that means my fps sometimes drops from 50 to around 39-40 but other than that i probs wouldnt notice a difference... but yeah this obviously wouldnt apply for everyone else.

The memory leak/black screen /CTD is a different issue from server frames. The AI lag is due to the server being taken by all the stuff happening at any given time. The AI have fewer cycles to work out what they have to do & by extension are dumb as my dead rabbit. With the headless clients running the AI cycles & the server handling every thing else, you get smarter AI & less lag especially when they are spawning in. 

• Like 1

Ora209    142
    37 minutes ago, =S.N.A.F.U.= said:

The memory leak/black screen /CTD is a different issue from server frames. The AI lag is due to the server being taken by all the stuff happening at any given time. The AI have fewer cycles to work out what they have to do & by extension are dumb as my dead rabbit. With the headless clients running the AI cycles & the server handling every thing else, you get smarter AI & less lag especially when they are spawning in. 

Ah kk hence making them more of a challenge... would that mean their despawn rate would be faster to? Like i know the tigs have longer despawn times than the other ei... so would that speed up the despawn or do they hang around longer for a reason