shift597

Tweak to the AA priority Target?

shift597    178

This is a controversial topic as people either love it or hate it but i really think the AA priority target needs a tweak. The problem at the moment is that it is too overpowered and the position at which is spawns could be altered to allow a more enjoyable experience for the player. Right now the AA at the Priority target has a range of over 10kms which means that it is capable of shooting u down from a long way away, coupled with the ammo truck providing unlimited ammo this makes it near impossible for inexperienced pilots to fly have an enjoyable time. The spawn is almost always 3-4 kms away from base usually to the north meaning as soon as a pilots lifts more than 10-15 metres in the air at base he/she is immediately shot down. This situation is a very very very common situation and can claim even the most experienced of pilots (for example i witnessed sinerbuzz die after taking off from the spawn helipad at base). This is not a good situation as it is unrewarding for the pilots and infantry and either results in 2 ways:

1. Pilots declare themselves grounded until the AA is dealt with. This situation is bad in my opinion as now the pilots have to wait until the AA is dealt with (on average taking between 10-20 minutes in time). Further more the Infantry now only have the option of dealing with the AA (which the majority wont bother to do or are not aware of the situation) or driving to the Main AO which most of the pubbies aren't that keen on doing either. This forms at Glut of Infantry at the main base and a bunch of pilots refusing to fly. This almost always results in 5-10 disconnects due to boredom. not good.

2. Pilots continue to try and fly to the main AO. This usually results in helicopters being locked and shot down immediately after take off resulting in mass casualty events in the spawn area which is both unrewarding for the pilot and the infantry at base who keep continuously dying. This problem is particularly present with new or inexperienced pilots. This situation usually results in disconnect numbers in excess of 15-20 players which is not good at all.

I believe a fix for this problem would be to have the spawn of the AA on the route of flight to the AO from base or near the AO itself as then pilots would have to make a tactical decision about their flight paths which would be a much more rewarding experience for everyone. Obviously this would mean that the AA should have their ranges reduced as well as 10kms is too much of an excess and is almost terminator like in action. I believe a 3-4km range is aple for the Priority Target AA represented in this platform.

I really think this is a big problem in I&A as tonight i saw a full server (68 players) go down to 37 players in the space of 25 minutes directly after a AA priority target had been present. 4/5 of the pilots at the start of the AA priority target quit as a result as well which was including Sinerbuzz who was shot down over 3 times. I would urge the devs to please consider this proposal,

Cheers shifty 

• Like 1

• Fitz    1239

I definitely agree that something needs to change with that AA battery. The range is too far and the two main tigris' that form the battery are stronger than a regular tig as well. It takes around 4 or 5 slammer shots to kill one. 

I think having it on the path to the AO would be better than having it near the AO because then they'll end up dropping everyone off a few km's away and I don't think people would enjoy walking for 10 mins.

• Like 1

dasweetdude    327

That's the way quick designed it mate he put it there for a reason doesn't matter where it goes it will still be as deadly. This is a mission that hasn't been changed that was from along time ago. Would be nice to give a few of them abit of a change up. See what he thinks when he is back online. l'm sure it wont be that much of a problem. A lot of the old missions will get a rework. 

Qeus    198

Its range is around 7000-7500 when targeting normal aircraft, and 4500-5000 when targeting stealth-designed aircraft (UH-80, AH-99). 

How about if the targeting system is a bit more sophisticated?

~7500 for planes,

~3500 for helicopters,

~2500 for stealth helicopters, as well as reduced targeting capability in cloudy conditions.

Sound reasonable?

It is close to base to facilitate approach by vehicles. 

Taking out the Ammo truck (1 hit from a tank) near it does reduce its re-arm rate.

Perhaps some adjustment so it finds a position between the base and the AO would work well with tightening the range?

Edited by Qeus
    • Like 2

Yottahertz.    101

I manage to keep up in the air during the AA Battery, however it's true for the inexperienced pilots whom have trouble flying at low altitudes alway most definitely seem to get shot down while the AA Battery is operating.

@Qeus that sounds much more reasonable.