Qeus

[Feedback] Transport Pilot scoring

Qeus    198

Hi guys.

Working on a role-based scoring system to reward roleplay and teamwork.

Top of the list is scoring for transport pilots.

Post your thoughts/feedback/comments here.

The goal is to provide a public leaderboard with full database support (later on), both to inspire efficient transport of infantry and to allow infantry to determine the best heli to get them to and from their destination in one piece. Also down the line, using CAS assets may cost a certain number of points, though this part is still in concept design. The goal would be to reward the transport pilots with use of the CAS assets and discourage people joining just to fly a jet, eventually crash and then disconnect.

Currently it is in closed alpha. To participate, poke Quiksilver on teamspeak when you are a transport pilot. No guarantees I will enable it for you -- depending on the useable state of the code at the time -- but it is possible. If I'm flying transport over the next few days or weeks, it is to work on this system and thats probably a good time to poke re having access to it.

Here is the current design of the system (subject to change/comments/feedback):

Transport from base to a mission = +1 per passenger

Transport from mission to base/another mission = +0.5 per passenger

Transport from nowhere to base/mission = +0.5 per passenger

Transport from base/mission to nowhere = +0 per passenger.

Crash = -1 per passenger killed.

Examples:

Transport pilot picks up 4 people at base. En route to AO, pilot stops to pick up a poor sod whose quadbike has broken. Pilot drops both at AO. Result is +4.5.

Transport pilot picks up 3 people at old AO, and brings them to new AO. En route, you are shot down by a Kajman and no one survives. Result is -1.5.

Pick up 5 at base, transport to AO. You fly over a Tigris and explode midair. Just before explosion, 1 player jumps out with a parachute. Result is -4.

Pick up 8 at base who request parajump. Fly over AO at altitude, they all eject safely. 7 have parachute on, 1 does not. Result is +7.

Other notes:

Score for logistics/sling-loading is still in concept design. Obviously we don't want blind sling-loading of assets just to get more points, but some recognition/reward for the added risk of sling loading could be good. This may be outside the scope of the initial release.

Post your thoughts there. Earlier in development = more likely to influence development.

• Like 2

• dasweetdude    327

Uno already know l love the idea l think having a similar system for a medic too on revives would be good also and use a similar point system more so one kill for a revive or maybe put it in a zone so depending on where the medic is and how far he runs so for e.g 1 point for a normal revive 100m might be plus 2+ points, 200m run and revive 3+ points ect. A max of about 6+ Points though if someone runs the full 500m. Or tie it so if the medic doesn't go down in distance they run to revive they get scored so.  Still playing with the idea atm but as quick said above its a reward system that will encourage better teamwork play and get the medics that sometimes wont run 200m to pick someone up back into the points system.

• Like 2

Nova    1779

this is cool but what if you get shot down with a huron full of people killing everyone.

would these points reset on server restart? 

OutLord    6

Sounds great! I love it!

Ratios of success v failure would be good to see.

I would have thought

Mission to another mission would be at least as challenging and should also = 1?

Qeus    198
    13 hours ago, InfamousNova said:

this is cool but what if you get shot down with a huron full of people killing everyone.

would these points reset on server restart? 

It is still unclear what the score penalty should be for passengers dying when you crash, for instance, a full -1 or just -0.5? What do you think?  There is already coded in a lower limit ( -10 ) which the score will not go below. A low score sufficient to indicate to infantry they probably wont survive a journey with that pilot, but capped to prevent trolling to see how low a score they can get.

There are plans for 2 metrics. Both an 'all-time' and a reset-on-restart metric.

Qeus    198

The first public prototype of the leaderboard is now available for people to use.

At the pilot spawn area, there is an action on the ammo box to enable/disable it.

It is still in development, and is a low-priority task meaning it will be in development for some time still. The intention of publishing this early WIP is to allow a chance for feedback, and to locate and identify bugs/issues, and I believe its a bit of fun for some pilots too ;)

How it works currently (7/01/2016):

passenger gets in at base, gets out near mission (side or main) = 1 point

passenger gets in at base, gets out far away from anything =  0 point

passenger gets in at base, gets out at base = 0 point

passenger gets in at current mission, gets out at base = 1 point

passenger gets in at current mission, gets out far away from anything = 0 point

passenger gets in at current mission, gets out at current mission = 0 point

passenger gets in far away from anything, gets out at mission = 0.5 point

passenger gets in far away from anything, gets out at base = 0.5 point

passenger gets in far away from anything, gets out far away from anything = 0 point

Notes:

* at present, evacs from old missions are classified as picking people up in the middle of nowhere. this should be fixed in coming versions.

* using advanced flight model multiplies earned points by 1.5x. for instance, picking 2 people up at base and dropping them to mission would ordinarily = 2 points. If you have had advanced flight model enabled for the past ~20 mins, it is 3 points (1.5 x 2). This multiplier (1.5x) is subject to change. It may be in the future that AFM is a 1.25x multiplier, and First Person flying is another 1.25x multiplier. If you disable AFM at any time (such as around landing and takeoff), you will not be able to earn the AFM multiplier for the following 20 minutes. The same mechanism will be used for the First Person check.

* There is currently no penalty for crashes/passengers dying, this will go in in future versions.

Regards,

Quiksilver

Edited by Qeus
    • Like 2

Kalthramis    58

I'm currently enjoying the fact this exists. Though, I do have a gripe about it not affecting cargo lifting, which can have a big impact on the AO. In my own opinion, cargo lifting these should be added to the way to earn points.

Are there any plans to add use to the scoreboard, such as varied helicopter skins? I enjoy it existing for existence sake, but curiosity. 

Qeus    198

What are your thoughts on the cargo/logistics/sling loading with respect to transport leaderboard?

There are some improvements and refinements coming in the next update, visual (an actual leaderboard) and technical (minus points for passenger deaths/crashes).

Are there any plans to add use to the scoreboard, such as varied helicopter skins? I enjoy it existing for existence sake, but curiosity. 

[/quote]

There is a dedicated skins system coming, but it is designed for server supporters/donators only. The transport leaderboard is intended to integrate with the whitelisted pilot slot, when its fully implemented. If you are one of the top transport pilots in week 1, you will be on the whitelist for week 2. that sort of thing.

Edited by Qeus

Kalthramis    58
    7 hours ago, Qeus said:

What are your thoughts on the cargo/logistics/sling loading with respect to transport leaderboard?

There are some improvements and refinements coming in the next update, visual (an actual leaderboard) and technical (minus points for passenger deaths/crashes).

I suppose I'd just want it to affect the leaderboard. Troop transport is good, and more important, don't get me wrong. Soldiers capture zones, not boxes. However, arsenal and medic crates, as well as armed vehicles, go a long way with speeding things up. Transporting cargo should affect the transporting leaderboard, particularly since many pilots lack the skill. I can draw up a rough point sketch when I get home. 

I am unaware of the overhead it would have, but a custom support-call under the ~ menu would be an excellent communication tool for infantry, and could tie into cargo transport leaderboards. 

On this subject, could we get the Taru transport removed from the lifter spawn? The other helos/Huron give plenty of transport capacity as is, even at server capacity, but the Troop cannot lift. Crashing helos for an appropriate respawn is cumbersome.

Edited by Kalthramis
    • Like 1

Fitz    1239

I think transporting people from one side mission to another should give you a full point, especially now that side missions spawn quicker.

Need to be able to get points for passengers in the taru pod as well.

• Like 1

Qeus    198

Points for sling loading is quite technically tricky to do effectively.

Sure we can give a pilot score for delivering a crate to the AO, but just dropping a crate inside the +1 radius isnt necessarily of use to anyone.

It is possible to use the communication menu support system [~], but designing it to work properly and every time in MP would take awhile. I have designed a custom support menu already, since the built-in vanilla one is not MP compatible (was designed for singleplayer). But it doesn't have the capacity to scale for multiple identical support requests or to manage existing ones. Something to look into, but don't have the time in the next few weeks to work on it. That said, there are plans for some player generated missions (medevacs), so it may get bumped up in priority if we use the communication menu for it.

Next mission update will have consideration for Evacs from missions/side missions.

We'll look into switching out the Taru transport from the spawn rotation.

And regarding slinging taru pods,

We'll look into scoring for those. It is quite tricky to manage with the current implementation, but we'll make an effort at it. Not for this coming update, but after its released we'll try to add support for sling loading.

• Like 1

Nova    1779

@Qeus could you have a system where squad leaders could request a crate drop. and anyone who was flying a heavy lift vehicle. would then get an objective to lift an ammo crate that would be requested by the squad leader. the pilot would then take the crate and would have to drop it in an area like a 50m radius

Kalthramis    58

Are there going to be any points for doing medivacs, or transporting around inside of an AO? I've recently taken to using the hummingbird as taxi support in AOs when transport is more than covered. Ex, scooping up stragglers when defends start, picking up incapacitated infantry when no medics are nearby and flying them to medics.

Another new consideration is picking up prisoners for the jail.

• Like 2

Kalthramis    58

Can't seem to edit my post, but I also wanted to suggest that landing players during a defend or in HQ offer a few more points as well.

• Like 1

Qeus    198

At the moment, work on the leaderboard is in 'holding pattern' until we have more data on how the leaderboard is affecting performance.

To synchronize a weeks worth of leaderboard data over the network every 10-15 mins is not trivial, so we'd like to monitor and assess to see if performance impact is noticeable and/or significant. As such there won't be any tweaks to the leaderboard systems until roughly mid next week or after we've had at least one solid week to assess.

The current plans are to extend support to sling loading in some capacity, and potentially transport of POWs to also receive some recognition. Also some support of static Zeus objectives is possible, with several methods theoretically available, but further out on the horizon as far as experimentation and possible implementation.

As for varying points based on objectives and such, at this point we'd like to keep things simple. The plan for variable transport points is to base it on your selected difficulties. AFM, first person, AFM stress damage, etc. to reward pilots who take on and overcome a higher level of risk.

If/when you do implement a negative rating I recommend you make it the maximum capacty of the largest helos (Taru/Huron/Mohawk - 16 pax + crew) so that people have a fairer idea at who has been a shit pilot and who has just been shot down by one of the 459698 CAS jets you guys have circling the AO.