Tungsten

Jets DLC and Dynamic loadouts: Possibilities and Problems Disscusion

Tungsten    69

I know there is already a similar thread, but i want this to go in a different direction

So as the Jets DLC gets closer, we have seen whats being added a lot clearer, a F/A 181 Black Wasp II, To - 201, and A-149 Gryphon, which look like they are based of the F/A 18 Black Wasp Prototype , SU-35 and SAAB Gryphon respectively, and while they are marketed as Air Superiority, if their anything like the Jets they are based on, they will have Multi role Capabilities which is also what BI are saying, if this was a normal addition, would not change much, but since Dynamic load outs where announced

Dynamic Vehicle Loadouts - As requested by many people in the Arma community, you can now customize your vehicle's armament. In the case of jets, this means you can choose what kind of ordnance each pylon carries. Dynamic Vehicle Loadouts is designed to be compatible with other vehicle classes in Arma 3, which also means that content creators have the option to implement this new functionality in their assets.

As you can see in the quote, this could also extend past jets to UCAVs and Helicopters, while this can expand each of these assets roles, they all have access to ATGMs, the main problem child for I&A, which means, this DLC comes as a double edged sword to the server, it can greatly expand the roles of JTAC, UAV, and Jet and Gunship CAS but also grow to be a problem.

My main Concern is with the respawning AA Jet and the UAVs, depending on how the load outs are changed, troublemakers are going to no doubt going to exploit this, especially if the ATGMs stay as IR Seeking

Edited by Tungsten
  • Like 2

• Nova    1779
    34 minutes ago, Tungsten said:

My main Concern is with the respawning AA Jet and the UAVs, depending on how the load outs are changed, troublemakers are going to no doubt going to exploit this, especially if the ATGMs stay as IR Seeking

i imagine @Fitz will figure out a system so that you cannot customize the buzzard or something. or customize full stop. if not i think we will put some rules or something in place. for instance. like you cant load a wipeout with nothing but ATGMS. or a max of 2 ATGMS at any given time on an aircraft. with the new radar system i believe all of this will be harder anyway

Fitz    1239

I'm assuming they will give people a way to restrict what loadouts are available. I think one of the feedback threads said that it would most likely be the case?

It would be pretty dumb for them to introduce a system like that and not also include restrictions for it. Even if they didn't, the functionality is already there to disable certain weapons from vehicles anyway, so wouldn't be that big of an issue I don't think.

I'm interested to see what the deal with the Carrier is though. Any ideas on how we could make use of it?

Tungsten    69

maybe as a FOB or Auxiliary Airbase for VTOL/STOL Aircraft if it does not cause many issues.

I'm also hoping that's the case with the loadouts, also hoping that add more weapons to use with different types of guidance, Laser guided Missiles or GPS guided bombs would be great on I&A

• Like 1

Nova    1779
    39 minutes ago, Tungsten said:

maybe as a FOB or Auxiliary Airbase for VTOL/STOL Aircraft if it does not cause many issues.

I'm also hoping that's the case with the loadouts, also hoping that add more weapons to use with different types of guidance, Laser guided Missiles or GPS guided bombs would be great on I&A

yea an FOB for aircraft to refuel and rearm. with an arsenal to resupply infantry.

Tungsten    69

@FitzThe only place i can think of it being helpful though is the entrance of Pyrgos gulf between Skopos and Selakano and around Negades bay if its an actual Aircraft Carrier, since their are no easily accessible airstrips in those areas for jets, but if its a Helicopter Carrier or an Amphibious Assault Ship then there will be more options

Edited by Tungsten
    • Like 1

Cpl Aidoss    8

If the ship does go into the Bay Area then this could lead to an new  main or side mission where we could start to see more or an amphibious approach towards the mission

Tungsten    69

Probably wont go inside the actual bay due to the increased load it would put on the server and on peoples clients, especially if the AO spawns next to the main base

Corporal Kerry    141
    On 07/04/2017 at 3:03 PM, Tungsten said:

You can script the pylon loadouts. I am not sure if you will be able to customize the loadout of the jet in-game, I think this is only an editor thing.

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Vehicle_Loadouts#Scripting

But since we do not use ATGM missiles, we could remove them and replace them with AA or MK82 bombs. Or more GBU12 bombs. Then the CAS pilots could just have the weapons they can actually make use of.

Fitz    1239
    49 minutes ago, Corporal Kerry said:

I am not sure if you will be able to customize the loadout of the jet in-game, I think this is only an editor thing.

Yeah not sure about that either but one of the 'goals' on the wiki is this

allow players to add/change weapons on vehicle's hardpoints on the begining of a mission, during the mission, in 3DEN,...

Corporal Kerry    141
    1 hour ago, Fitz said:

Yeah not sure about that either but one of the 'goals' on the wiki is this

I guess they could make it so you can customize it when next to ammo truck like the old Peral a10c mod. Should be able to control what ordnance is available to pilots with scripting so they do not have 9 Maverick missiles.

Brodie0296    78
    On 07/04/2017 at 3:43 PM, InfamousNova said:

yea an FOB for aircraft to refuel and rearm. with an arsenal to resupply infantry.

one issue that we could also end up seeing is with in experienced pilots trying to land on it, i know it might not do much but maybe a rule that inexperienced pilots avoid landing on the carrier?

Nova    1779
    36 minutes ago, Brodie0296 said:

one issue that we could also end up seeing is with in experienced pilots trying to land on it, i know it might not do much but maybe a rule that inexperienced pilots avoid landing on the carrier?

yea something like that. its going to be mostly helis landing on the carrier anyway. plus the UAV. you arent really meant to fly jets anyway if you aren't experienced in it. we'll see how it goes first before we decide to put any rules inplace

Brodie0296    78
    8 minutes ago, InfamousNova said:

yea something like that. its going to be mostly helis landing on the carrier anyway. plus the UAV. you arent really meant to fly jets anyway if you aren't experienced in it. we'll see how it goes first before we decide to put any rules inplace

the concern i was also kind of thinking is the risk of some heli pilots landing in the way of a jet, in a way i guess this would encourage more communication amongst the pilots in team speak. Had a few people recently that have tried the role and have been quiet inexperienced, mainly UAV and Helicopters but during the quiet time of the server where there were not any mods on so i guess it'll be one of those occasional risks.

• Like 1

Tungsten    69

Just had a few ideas that could go either way after watching a few videos from the Dev Build:

Let the CAS and AA Jets have a Sniper/Spotter kind of relationship EG: Infantry Calls in a Target, AA Jet gets eyes and feeds info on the target back to the CAS jet, CAS rolls in and does what it usually does.

At the same time, we could possibly reduce the active Greyhawk UAV's to just 1 rather then having 2, that way the UAV Op can focus less on the Greyhawks and more on the other UAV's due to the Targeting pods doing a similar job.

Also @Fitz, watching these videos gives merit to the idea of the Carrier as auxiliary airbase, the new Nato Jet and UCAV are carrier landing capable and from what i could see, more then enough space on the deck for Helos

Edited by Tungsten

Tungsten    69

So just read the new OPREP explaining the sensor changes, might be worth looking into the current usage of UAVs since they have added infantry tracking, might give them a more Intel gathering centric role, focusing more on Darters and Falcons then Grey hawks and Sentinels, especially with the data link feature, i might also have to do a review on the FSG changes i put forward, this might have gave me a more noticeable and interesting change for FSG.

@Fitz @InfamousNova

• Like 2

Brodie0296    78
    25 minutes ago, Tungsten said:

So just read the new OPREP explaining the sensor changes, might be worth looking into the current usage of UAVs since they have added infantry tracking, might give them a more Intel gathering centric role, focusing more on Darters and Falcons then Grey hawks and Sentinels, especially with the data link feature, i might also have to do a review on the FSG changes i put forward, this might have gave me a more noticeable and interesting change for FSG.

@Fitz @InfamousNova

would actually like to see some teamwork happen between UAV and FSG, theres already that communication between UAV and CAS but with the infantry tracking that might help with more accurate FSG support especially when danger close

Tungsten    69

So after having a play with the Dynamic Loadouts, as disappointing as it is we cant just overload the CAS with GBUs im going to put my support behind differentiating the Wipeout and Neo by making the Wipeout the Bomb orientated CAS and the Neo the Rocket CAS, i already have a interesting (and perfectly balanced) loadout for it:

Sahr-3, Tratnyr HE x2, Tratnyr AP x2, Skyfires x2, 2x LOM 250G: this gives it 2 Rockets per trigger pull for the Tratnyrs and the Skyfires let you let off a small rocket burst without the downtime of the Tratnyrs for better area saturation and accuracy

• Like 1

Fitz    1239
    On 5/17/2017 at 7:03 PM, Tungsten said:

So after having a play with the Dynamic Loadouts, as disappointing as it is we cant just overload the CAS with GBUs im going to put my support behind differentiating the Wipeout and Neo by making the Wipeout the Bomb orientated CAS and the Neo the Rocket CAS, i already have a interesting (and perfectly balanced) loadout for it:

Sahr-3, Tratnyr HE x2, Tratnyr AP x2, Skyfires x2, 2x LOM 250G: this gives it 2 Rockets per trigger pull for the Tratnyrs and the Skyfires let you let off a small rocket burst without the downtime of the Tratnyrs for better area saturation and accuracy

I'll change it to that at next restart but minus the Skyfires. I tested it out and thought that the they were a bit too much - 80 rockets + 38 skyfires + 2 bombs + main cannon :p

• Like 2