Matsozetex

Zeus Usage

Matsozetex    89

Hello all,

Recently I got very pissed off at the incorrect usage of Zeus on the server. Some points include:

1. The spawning of exterior jets after Radio tower has been eliminated.

2. The Mass spam of helicopters and other powerful vehicles randomly into the AO.

3. The usage of Zeus during low population.

Ways to fix this may include:

1. Considering the state of the AO before spawning enemies in. (I.e defence spawn enemies in | Start of AO limit enemy spawns | End of AO provide a little extra challenge)

2. Spawning enemies outside of the AO (2-3km away) then sending them in.

3. Spawning enemy air targets when the tower is still operational.

4. The scaling of zeus usage to server population.

Opinions are welcome!

Edited by Matsozetex
Spelling Mistake
  • Like 3

• Nova    1779
    35 minutes ago, Matsozetex said:

if you want to play the same thing over and over without some sort of challenge or mystery then sure we can stop doing this

35 minutes ago, Matsozetex said:

2. The Mass spam of helicopters and other powerful vehicles randomly into the AO.

never done this myself other than a defend.

36 minutes ago, Matsozetex said:

???????????

36 minutes ago, Matsozetex said:

most if not all of us already do this. i even go the extra mile to getting tarus to lift in ifrits

37 minutes ago, Matsozetex said:

we do do this but every zeus is different. maybe you make a zeus mission thats based around air

37 minutes ago, Matsozetex said:

again why?

• Like 1

Nova    1779

also if one of us are abusing their zeus power send the next rank up a message ie a mod is abusing zeus send me a message. or im abusing zeus send fitz a message

Travesty    265
    1 hour ago, Matsozetex said:

Opinions are welcome!

You asked for this.

Recently I got very pissed off at the incorrect usage of Zeus on the server.

I think you meant to say "I got very pissed off at what I perceived to be the incorrect usage of Zeus on the server."

We don't determine what is correct use of Zeus on the I&A server, the server staff do. I recommend you adjust your thinking.

Server staff use Zeus to run missions outside of normal I&A objectives to keep the experiences unique and interesting on the server and avoid it becoming a repetitive and stale experience which will likely drive away players.

This change in circumstances adds to the excitement of the server, especially when the opposing forces deviate from the normal rules of engagement we're used to.

I personally enjoy when this occurs as it requires new thinking to deal with, and is akin to the opposing forces changing the battlefield parameters.

If you wanted a standardised experience maybe a Single Player campaign or scenario is better suited for you.

Refer to points above, sometimes an opposing force will throw significant forces into an operation to change the odds in their favour.

It doesn't happen that often, when staff take the time to Zeus in opposing units and ramp up the difficulty in the server we should appreciate it because it became more difficult.

Server staff will use Zeus on the server as their time allows.

I think it would reduce the amount of Zeus activity on the server if a minimum player count was enforced and it should be at the server staff's discretion.

Ways to fix this may include:

1. Considering the state of the AO before spawning enemies in. (I.e defence spawn enemies in | Start of AO limit enemy spawns | End of AO provide a little extra challenge)

I disagree. You don't have to 'fix' something that isn't broken.

Adding this extra effort to server staff using Zeus on the server will likely lead to a reduction in staff wanting to do so, which would be a disappointing outcome.

Server staff spawn in units with Zeus to influence the battle. This would make that action largely ineffective.

Again, sometimes opposing forces don't play by the rules. Learn to adapt.

I would counter that you consider scaling your expectations of server staff to your preferred difficulty level.

Opinions are welcome!

Again, you asked for this.

TL;DR - May Zeus forever punish your butthole for your insolence, git gud or switch to Altis Life scrub.

• Like 6

Matsozetex    89

As I said I was very pissed off and made this in that moment and now realise such shoddy arguments, in retrospect I should've left the server at that point. Thanks for the clarification @InfamousNova and @Travesty  and @InfamousNova's beautiful grammar. Sorry for me rant and I will learn to adapt to Zeus in the future.....

...... And no, I will never join Cancer Life.... Ever

Edited by Matsozetex
    • Like 5

Travesty    265
    4 minutes ago, Matsozetex said:

As I said I was very pissed off and made this in that moment and now realise such shoddy arguments, in retrospect I should've left the server at that point. Thanks for the clarification @InfamousNova and @Travesty  and @InfamousNova's beautiful grammar. Sorry for me rant and I will learn to adapt to Zeus in the future.....

...... And no, I will never join Cancer Life.... Ever

820.jpg

• Like 1
    • Haha 1

Ora209    142
    On 29/07/2017 at 2:10 PM, Matsozetex said:

not sure who else does this but i tend to only really do this when there is a pilot just sitting in the aa jet when transport is required.

never seen this happen... if there is a left over heli from a zeus mission i run i would manually control it and joy fly over the AO... but i havent targeted any players (other than @M9', who i give insta rev)

3. The usage of Zeus during low population

although sometimes when im on there is a low pop but i dont usually do much so not sure what ur referring to.

um... explain?

i tend not to touch the AO other than the sniper missions i do or if a defend is happening and its going well for nato

like i said i only really spawn in the jets when there is pilot pissing around when they should be doing transport

um not sure if that could even be done

Opinions are welcome!

k

What ive noticed and a lot of other zeus' notice is that people automatically assume zeus killed them... like the other day, decibel through i killed him by spawning a tank next to his fsg outpost... only the server spawned a tank next to him and it then shot him. and i was watching cos i helping him to set up some h barriers to protect him.

the other thing u gotta remember is if u die by zeus it is either a mission or u did something wrong... or they playing god and toying with the fragile human condition

Edited by Ora209

M9'    169

Knowing full well the risk of dragging this on further than it might be worth, I feel as though there is something to be said about the nature of I&A and how Zeus players interact with it and the players that worship them.

I&A is a walled sandbox, a place where you can go out and do what you please so long as you adhere to the rules designed to keep the sand soft for everyone. It's a simple scenario that repeats over and over again, subjecting players to the same 'go to this place and complete this objective' narrative, day in and night out, that does some things very well, and others not so much. Those that have put the hours in will know that for a quick session after work or on a planned event with the lads, the variety provided by the side missions, rewards and defences drive a satisfaction that can, at times, prove to be really damn fun. However, as hours turn to days and days into weeks, the limited experience that I&A is able to provide begins to show.

A lot of us, me included, are fine with this; with the same ol' I&A (and by extension Arma 3) experience, the same ol' AO and the same ol' Side Missions. We are fine with the mediocre pilots, the inhuman aim of the AI and the chance of getting team killed simply because someone didn't take one extra second out of their day to check the colour of our clothes. We deal with it, we click that damn 'wait for a medic' button and hope that things turn out better next time. Why? Because when they do, it all becomes worth it. Storming a mountain range with 40 other people, watching friendly tank rounds flying overhead and hearing the sound of that sweet, sweet BRRRRRRRRRRRRT in the distance is one of the straight coolest experiences I have had with any video game ever. I've never really been one for drugs, but Goddamn if it isn't addictive.

I love posts like this, I really do. It's good to see people expressing what they dislike about what they want for, and I can, in fact, agree with some of the concerns raised. The use of Zeus has picked up quite a bit, from not really being used that much at all to being a daily sight to see. Sometimes, yes, a few too many enemies might get spawned in, leaving a feeling of hopelessness in their wake. However, to err is human, mistakes will, inevitably, be made. When Zeus is used correctly and missions go smoothly, the impact that it can have on the afternoons' session can be exemplary, both to those that have seen more AOs than they probably should have and to those that are seeing I&A for the first time. In my opinion, the risk of unintentional gameplay woes will always sit in the shadow of what can be done with some unusually creative variety on behalf of Zeus players. The more variety, the better.

Additionally, AL is trash ;)

• Like 3