imperatorsteve

Pissed off

Just wanting to rant because I'm so ****ed off and upset at the moment I'm shacking. I expect this to be deleted before to long so am not expecting a reply or any response but I want to get this off my chest to help calm down, and give my 10 cents. Soo

Ive been flying people back and forth to the AO and Side missions for the past 3 hours no problems players are nice and understanding. ok I'm not the fastest to land but 95% of the time I do land safety and at least I don't need auto hover to do it. In and out nice and smooth is my moto. Then what happens the AO is moved 11km away from the base and all of sudden all hell breaks loose and its all my fault that I'm not fast enough in the Hummingbird and that I shouldn't be using it and that I'm an A-hole and don't respect other players who are not pilots who want to fly it. Forget the 3 hours of flying the same heli with only 2 or 3 crashes / deaths and until the AO moved no one else wanted it or had a problem with my flying. Forget that I'm landing exactly where you the passenger are wanting to go (or very close). Forget that I get shot up or that I manage to dodge most of the incoming fire to get you as close as I can and forget that I have to sit there sometimes being shot at why I wait for you to press the "v" key when ur asleep.

Ok so I get that there is only of 6 pilot slots and that only 3 of us are doing transport atm and as a passenger you have been waiting. But why the **** are you yelling and abusing me for shouldn't you be yelling at those that are not taking you to the AO. Rather then abuse those that are!!!

Steam tells me ive played Arma for 151 hours so not a newbie but most certainly not an 'old hand'. Most of that as a ground trooper and nearly all that time on the Straya Invade and Annex server which is y I donate and its been great fun but I don't know of I should keep playing. Ive never experienced such hate for someone that was doing his best and trying to help as I did tonight and ive played alot of online games over the years. Shit look at the transport leaderboard and you will see my score is 100 points up on the next in line so I cant be as shit as people are saying. Ok ive been called a dick, a ****in asshole etc etc lots of time before hell I'm ex army so I'm use to being yelled at but the intensity of hate I was being yelled at tonight was beyond anything ive experenced. Right now I don't think ill ever be back, and if I am I'm even less sure it will be on a Straya server

I don't expect a response, I'm just wanting to say it out loud

Ps. I want to thank jake-_-Stones920[straya] for trying to calm down one of the players

• Like 1

• Fitz    1239

Sorry to hear you haven't had a pleasant time on the server :frowning2:. We can't always monitor everything people say, especially if it's through ingame voice chat.

However, we do take player abuse very seriously. I'll send you a private message to get some more details on the incident.

• Like 2

Nova    1779

not saying you're wrong but turn off VON if it such a big issue or even mute them? if someone is abusing you through text chat, message one of us. there were atleast 4 of us on tonight.

if you don't want to come back you do you but leaving the server because of some salty individuals is a bit extreme?

• Like 2

Corporal Kerry    141

I think people were upset for some reason that you took the Littlebird instead of a Ghosthack or a Merlin helicopter with more seats. But noone complained about this before. I am not sure what is up.

WestOz    40

Hey Steve, you and I have rolled a couple of times on ground in the same group, feel I can vouch for your maturity and dedication for role play.

Unfortunately like many things online there are always those who act tough, however in reality likely live a very sad real life with a very small penis, wouldn't have the guts to say what they do online to anyone's face. That's how I see them anyway, whilst sometimes it can be very tough not to retaliate, do your best to ignore them, or in your case land a couple of k's out from the AO and make them run the rest, they'll soon learn not to ride your chopper again, but plenty of others will.

I don't have a go at anyone using the base hummy for AO, its allowed, even some admin use it, however personally, it can be frustrating when not there for a quick return to a "timed" side mission, rather than making our way back over to the side base one, only to find the base one is being used by a pilot who has every other chopper available to his role. Ideally the base one would only be used for AO when minimal players (<12) are online.

Keep your chin & shoulders up man ;-)

Nova    1779
    12 hours ago, WestOz said:

only to find the base one is being used by a pilot who has every other chopper available to his role.

i personally prefer the humming bird over all the other helis. its just so much more fun to fly than the other helis. and there are cars in the carpark you can drive to the side base

WestOz    40
    8 hours ago, InfamousNova said:

i personally prefer the humming bird over all the other helis. its just so much more fun to fly than the other helis

I agree, however as per the OP, and mentioned by others, being space limited it can obviously leave guys for AO behind on the tarmac frustratingly wondering why, thus the abuse Steve received. "Perhaps" the 20 player server rules regarding the hummy should include pilots.

8 hours ago, InfamousNova said:

and there are cars in the carpark you can drive to the side base

21 hours ago, WestOz said:

quick return to a "timed" side mission

We obviously don't run over there, then whilst travelling over hope the side hummy is there.

Another hummy at side would be handy at times, sometimes we have more in the side group than will fit in one hummy, or someone else has grabbed it.

Failing that its asking a pilot to run a lager helli for us, taking him away from AO duties.

Nova    1779
    4 minutes ago, WestOz said:

"Perhaps" the 20 player server rules regarding the hummy should include pilots.

what do you mean? like unless theres under 20 people pilots cant fly the hummingbird? again i am strongly against this as i love the hummingbird. if there is a big need for more seats i would like many other pilots switch to a bigger heli like the mohawk but usually there is atleast one other pilot at base

WestOz    40

Whilst many don't post issues in the forum advising admin and simply disappear, or can't be Fkd getting into a debate on the forum knowing nothing will change, perhaps like this, like others before him someone posts a thread advising what his experienced on the server and it's simply brushed off with; 

On 24/07/2017 at 6:05 PM, InfamousNova said:

if you don't want to come back you do you but leaving the server because of some salty individuals is a bit extreme?

How much "salty individuals" do you feel those of us who aren't salty have to put up with? Would you prefer a server full of "salty individuals" rather than mature players who cause little if any issues for both players and admin?

I'll give the benefit of doubt that "perhaps" your not aware of what's going on, why so many of the mature players (I don't mean old) who once enjoyed the casual get on and play I&A when time around real life have left or are seriously considering it, leaving it to all the tools who want to muck around, friendly kill, add workload for admin (when available), don't care if they cop a short ban, don't donate, ruin the experience that's supposed to be relaxed down time after a long day/week at work rather than frustration.

Steve's is a small example of what's going on, the biggest issue as already mentioned is intentional or simply reckless friendly kills, but apparently that's not an issue either.

E.g; The other day some tool decides to drive a vehicle around the helli pads running over anyone trying to get on a chopper, this went on for 5+min, no way to defend ourselves, most calling for admin with no response. Eventually Rogs came on & kicked him, I missed what someone must have typed but Rogs reply was something along the lines of "we have a life outside of this server" and fair enough to. BUT is there nothing that could be done to prevent this even if an admin isn't on? of-course there is, but....

Someone makes a suggestion on how "perhaps" things could be improved and you don't like it, nor share any thoughts on what can be done to perhaps give us some certainty that its worth hanging in, things will turn around.

So, others are reading, what are your thoughts to reduce the immature crap that's going on in the server? Or would you rather we all just got fed-up with it and left you with all the "salty individuals"?

Fitz    1239

Obviously we prefer not to have the salty, immature children that spill over from Life servers and wherever else. Unfortunately, there's no way to know they are going to be idiots until they start being idiots. 

The reporting system (Robocop) and the staff team are able to take care of quite a lot of them. A lot of bans go out, probably more than most people realise, but there are always those that slip through the cracks. A lot of people also don't realise that Robocop kicks players that receive enough reports and blacklists them for the session (I'll add a message to show this). As Rog implied, we can't have someone online every hour of the day and that's where Robocop is meant to step in. It isn't perfect at the moment however, so currently my main goal is improving that system, especially during off-peak times. You should notice some of the improvements being slowly rolled out soon.

I wouldn't say intentional teamkilling is 'not an issue'. If there is a staff member available, it almost always results in a warning/kick/ban depending on severity. Alternatively, as I said above, if there isn't a staff member and they receive enough reports, they are kicked.

I did take your suggestion for friendly markers into consideration. I should have posted it in your thread too, but I mentioned in one of my devlog posts a month ago that I improved the reliability of the green nametags. It wasn't only staff members that disagreed with the strict uniform restriction/hex combo though.

44 minutes ago, WestOz said:

BUT is there nothing that could be done to prevent this even if an admin isn't on? of-course there is, but....

How do you think we can combat the issue you mentioned in your example?

• Like 3

Fitz    1239

As for the Hummingbird thing, I think restricting the side bird to non-pilots only and the main one to only pilots (no copilot either unless <20 players) would be good.

Thoughts?

• Like 2

Travesty    265
    33 minutes ago, Fitz said:

As for the Hummingbird thing, I think restricting the side bird to non-pilots only and the main one to only pilots (no copilot either unless <20 players) would be good.

Thoughts?

Sounds logical to me. As a Pilot I wouldn't really think "Oh, the Little Bird is gone so I'll go take the Side Bird" but then some people don't care about the rules.
    I'd say making that a solid rule (Enforced automatically if possible?) would keep Side Bird for those missions more.

As to the original issue of abuse of Pilots because of flying Little Bird to AO, you choose the heli and the LZ. They don't have to like it, they can go another way.

I would say, on the flip side, being the only (Or one of 2) pilot on the server means you really should take something bigger if there's enough players to justify it.
    But if you've been playing that heli for a bit then suddenly people get salty, it's on them to approach that appropriately with you instead of abusing you.

• Like 3

WestOz    40
    On 26/07/2017 at 8:47 PM, Fitz said:

Obviously we prefer not to have the salty

Yea I know... just frustrated/disappointed that we're still seeing/discussing the same issues 12mths later, seems worse now than then, plenty of great dedicated players I've met, still know via steam, have thrown it due to being fed-up with the crap, better things to do with their limited free time from real life than putting up with frustration. 
    Compared to how many play on the server, unfortunately bugger all come on the I&A forum to advise/vent their frustration, for some it's easier to just leave, shame.

Thought I created a thread about this ages ago, couple of us had a TS chat with one of you.
    A group of us got fed-up awhile back, tried other servers, tried creating our own, eventually decided that what you guys provide in mission content was going to be too hard for us time poor noobs to replicate. Requested if we could pay straya to supply us a server (simple file copy/clone) that we could manage ourselves via white-listing who could access it, for some reason it never eventuated, I think you guys were in the middle of setting up new server equipment.
    Perhaps had it got up a lot of the guys would still be with us now, have two near full servers running, one obviously with less issues than the other.

Is this something worth considering? One server only accessible via being white-listed (perhaps also registered on the forum), those we know who are seriously dedicated to following the rules, rarely if any friendly kills (if there was there's a justified reason, glitched out etc) haven't been kicked/banned recently, not a dick/salty etc, the other open to everyone else to muck around or prove/re-approve themselves worthy of the white-listed server.
    Might be low numbers splitting into each server to start with but who knows the potential growth once others become aware? Looking at server lists other operators seem to do ok with more than one (king of the hill etc)

A lot of people also don't realise that Robocop kicks players that receive enough reports and blacklists them for the session

I wasn't aware of that, never seen a kicked from server due to robo message, wonder why the guy running over everyone didn't get kicked, how many robo clicks does it require? 

How do you think we can combat the issue you mentioned in your example?

Now aware I'm wondering why that robo thing didn't sort it out? Other than that? 3 kills within a mission suggestion.

WestOz    40
    On 26/07/2017 at 8:56 PM, Fitz said:

Thoughts?

From what I experience, hear/read from others, this comes up often. During week days and late nights it doesn't seem to be a problem, not many on. Late arvo/evening and weekends the hummy being used for AO causes issues. 

Hey _____ your not supposed to use the hummy for AO. What a dick why would anyone use the hummy for AO? Why the F are you using the hummy instead of something bigger so all our group can get in? Where's the hummy? Is that the side hummy? If a hummy is being used for AO perhaps there's to many pilots on. etc etc etc... usually with lots of retort flair by many on side chat.

Allow issues to continue or do something to better manage it?

If I had a preference;

<20 players (perhaps that # could change?) - Being WST I can be on with ~12 players late at night, to many for a hummy, usually too far to drive (can that be fixed/scripted? missions closer to base when <20?).
    With such low numbers, understandably most aren't to keen to be a dedicated chopper pilot, or don't last long at it, pretty boring if no one needs transporting, not re-spawning (cause I'm an awesome medic) can't blame them for wanting to join-in the action on the ground or cas.
    So how do we all get there, how do we all evac? (excluding re-spawn which we currently have to do) those who log-in or do re-spawn for reload are left bored shietless at base for ages wondering when the hummy will return to base, cause that's all we're allowed to fly without a dedicated chopper pilot prepared to sit around doing nothing until we need him.

Assuming scripting AO closer to base isn't possible, minimal players on therefore few if any issues, how about all choppers are available to anyone, that way we can all fit in one, split up, don't have to wait for one to return etc, can also take a vehicle loaded with supplies in the blackfish.

>20 players - Anyone can fly the hummy anytime they like as long as they don't fly it near AO, or be a dick buzzing base and other choppers. If possible in script, if it nears AO a warning comes up on screen "entering restricted zone, leave now or hummy explodes".

Anyone taking up a Pilot slot for the hummy seems a waste of the slot when others may like that slot so they can fly a bigger chopper, jet, uav etc, so I'd block pilot slots accessing hummies. If someone really likes flying the hummy their welcome to run us too/from side missions, or fly it to AO when <20 players, don't need to take up a pilot slot for it.

Sometimes, there is to many chopper pilots on vs what's required for ground troop numbers (ratio), e.g, say there's 25 players and 5 are chopper pilots, their choice but overkill. Sometimes there's three at the pads waiting, players confused wondering which one to get on, which will leave first. Some pilots are smart enough to hover back waiting while the other loads up & leaves.

While at it,

Pilots not on TS - not a big deal for us on the ground but from side chat can see its a VERY regular issue to deal with for admin.
    Not aware what prompted TS as a mandatory requirement for pilots, perhaps reduced server lag issues or something in the early days.
    To reduce issues, why not use a dedicated server group channel for pilots (locked)?
    This way anyone joining the server as pilot, whether experienced or new player (perhaps don't have TS or even know what it is, how to set it up) automatically joins that required channel, If for some reason their not in the channel they get an invite, if they don't accept they get a side message asking/telling them to accept (press U), if they don't they get kicked, problem solved?

Zombine45    177
    2 minutes ago, WestOz said:

Is that the side hummy?

Just a quick suggestion in relation to this. Maybe force a unique skin onto the side hummingbird to help identify it.

• Like 3

WestOz    40
    8 hours ago, Zombine45 said:

Maybe force a unique skin onto the side hummingbird to help identify it.

Unless you mean another requirement for this, it would still just show up as a blue hummy on the map, which is whats being looked at to see where it is when not found parked at side base.

• Like 2

Nova    1779
    9 hours ago, WestOz said:

<20 players (perhaps that # could change?) - Being WST I can be on with ~12 players late at night, to many for a hummy, usually too far to drive (can that be fixed/scripted? missions closer to base when <20?).
    With such low numbers, understandably most aren't to keen to be a dedicated chopper pilot, or don't last long at it, pretty boring if no one needs transporting, not re-spawning (cause I'm an awesome medic) can't blame them for wanting to join-in the action on the ground or cas.
    So how do we all get there, how do we all evac? (excluding re-spawn which we currently have to do) those who log-in or do re-spawn for reload are left bored shietless at base for ages wondering when the hummy will return to base, cause that's all we're allowed to fly without a dedicated chopper pilot prepared to sit around doing nothing until we need him.

you can fly every helicopter from the co pilot seat if theres less than 20 players on

20 players - Anyone can fly the hummy anytime they like as long as they don't fly it near AO, or be a dick buzzing base and other choppers. If possible in script, if it nears AO a warning comes up on screen "entering restricted zone, leave now or hummy explodes".

Anyone taking up a Pilot slot for the hummy seems a waste of the slot when others may like that slot so they can fly a bigger chopper, jet, uav etc, so I'd block pilot slots accessing hummies. If someone really likes flying the hummy their welcome to run us too/from side missions, or fly it to AO when <20 players, don't need to take up a pilot slot for it.

myself loving the hummingbird this seems like a bad idea. plus using the logic of not enough seats you would have to restrict the hellcat aswell because it has the same seats. if you really need to get to the side mission ask a pilot to take you out. they're usually more than happy

Sometimes, there is to many chopper pilots on vs what's required for ground troop numbers (ratio), e.g, say there's 25 players and 5 are chopper pilots, their choice but overkill. Sometimes there's three at the pads waiting, players confused wondering which one to get on, which will leave first. Some pilots are smart enough to hover back waiting while the other loads up & leaves.

i dont see how this is an issue? just pick a heli and get in. if there ratio is like that then the pilot would probably leave immediately anyway

10 hours ago, WestOz said:

Pilots not on TS - not a big deal for us on the ground but from side chat can see its a VERY regular issue to deal with for admin.
    Not aware what prompted TS as a mandatory requirement for pilots, perhaps reduced server lag issues or something in the early days.
    To reduce issues, why not use a dedicated server group channel for pilots (locked)?
    This way anyone joining the server as pilot, whether experienced or new player (perhaps don't have TS or even know what it is, how to set it up) automatically joins that required channel, If for some reason their not in the channel they get an invite, if they don't accept they get a side message asking/telling them to accept (press U), if they don't they get kicked, problem solved?

you cant have dedicated pilot groups because of a bug with the vtol's where the pilot cant be in the group to fly it. also teamspeak is free so you should have it since most arma communities use ts. setting it up is very easy. if not google is your friend.

10 hours ago, WestOz said:

Thought I created a thread about this ages ago, couple of us had a TS chat with one of you.
    A group of us got fed-up awhile back, tried other servers, tried creating our own, eventually decided that what you guys provide in mission content was going to be too hard for us time poor noobs to replicate. Requested if we could pay straya to supply us a server (simple file copy/clone) that we could manage ourselves via white-listing who could access it, for some reason it never eventuated, I think you guys were in the middle of setting up new server equipment.
    Perhaps had it got up a lot of the guys would still be with us now, have two near full servers running, one obviously with less issues than the other.

Is this something worth considering? One server only accessible via being white-listed (perhaps also registered on the forum), those we know who are seriously dedicated to following the rules, rarely if any friendly kills (if there was there's a justified reason, glitched out etc) haven't been kicked/banned recently, not a dick/salty etc, the other open to everyone else to muck around or prove/re-approve themselves worthy of the white-listed server.
    Might be low numbers splitting into each server to start with but who knows the potential growth once others become aware? Looking at server lists other operators seem to do ok with more than one (king of the hill etc)

a second whitelisted server would just split the playerbase. while yes we get a lot of players on at night if we opened a second server there would be barely any on either server which is less fun for everyone

• Like 3

Fitz    1239
    14 hours ago, WestOz said:

Requested if we could pay straya to supply us a server (simple file copy/clone)

We aren't interested in selling the mission and, as far as I know, have never been.

One server only accessible via being white-listed

We don't want to split the playerbase. This is the same reason why we don't have Tanoa or Malden or modded I&A. Australian playerbase is too small for it.

I wasn't aware of that, never seen a kicked from server due to robo message, wonder why the guy running over everyone didn't get kicked, how many robo clicks does it require? 

There is no message at the moment. The required reports doesn't scale so needs to be adjusted for times where player count is low.

13 hours ago, WestOz said:

missions closer to base when <20?

Yep, this can be done pretty easily and is a good idea.

If possible in script, if it nears AO a warning comes up on screen "entering restricted zone, leave now or hummy explodes".

This is probably a bit difficult to determine. Sometimes the side missions spawn right near the AO as well.

It is possible to create an ingame channel just for the pilots, but the TS requirement makes it much easier to moderate. We can't tell if someone has muted their VON ingame but we can tell if they have muted their speakers in TS. TS also has the waiting for pilot slot and waiting for CAS queue.

With certain restrictions being implemented over the next month, this should become less of an issue.

13 hours ago, Zombine45 said:

Just a quick suggestion in relation to this. Maybe force a unique skin onto the side hummingbird to help identify it.

Will do. Although the map is what's looked at most to determine which is which, it's still a good idea. 

• Like 2