=S.N.A.F.U.=

Stuff I'd like to see.

=S.N.A.F.U.=    92

Hi gang,

Lately I have been playing on a few different servers, and had been seeing  how they do different sorts of things to us. This is more of a wish list than a real expectation but I just thought it might start discussion on ways we could step out of the current paradigms.

>    Firstly, changes to the FOB. I won't go into detail here, as there is already a good discussion going on in the forums here.

>  Secondly, and I know this goes against what people are used to; getting rid of the CAS jets and UAV, or greatly reducing their ability.

I have now played on a few servers where the Jets have a very limited role. What seems to be the case here, is that there is more reliance on both armour and  teamwork by the troops in the field and the chopper pilots. Without the Jets and UAV bombing the entire IO to smithereens within minutes, the advancements of the troops is slower and the choice of LZ becomes more critical. I have even seen it quite often on our server when we have low population and no one in the Jets.

There are a few ways you can go about this:

You can extend the respawn time to much longer than what it is currently.

You can greatly reduce the fuel of the CAS Jets.

You can reduce the arsenal on the CAS Jets & UAV.

Personally, I find it a lot more exciting this way. The fear of enemy armour makes for more intense engagements and totally different strategies to what we currently use. Some of the most heart thumping moments in ARMA that I have experienced come from being the underdog. Now I understand that this is a public server, we have to make it "for everyone", but I don't think that this idea excludes that philosophy.

>     I'd love to see our base moved from the main airfield to one of the others. E.g. the Northeast one. The reasoning for this is we are an invading force, not a defending one. The enemy should control the main bulk of the land mass and its primary areas. To this end, you could even have our current airbase heavily defended by the enemy, making a dangerous area to be near and any missions in or around it would be quite difficult.

>    Failing the above, I'd like to see some cosmetic changes made to our base.

Move our spawn points to the buildings and hangers to the north in a military area of the airfield. And preferably have our spawn points inside the buildings. (Near where we currently have the side mission area or alternately up near Ironsides.)

Have multiple AA defence systems at either end of the field. Having it in the centre doesn't make too much sense.

Have two bobcats (or vehicles like them) available. One that stays at the air base to do repairs and cleanup, the other to go out in the field. (Maybe spawn at the FOB). The one at base would simply de-spawn when taken outside the radius of the base so that one will always remain there for the uses of cleaning up the base.

I understand that none of the above will probably come to fruition, because I also know how hard it can be to change things in Arma. And what a big undertaking it would be to do so. I'm just putting this here to open up ideas and maybe change the way we think about I&A as a game mode.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to thank all of those working on this game. As somebody who has programmed on it in the past, I understand how difficult it can be. So again, my thanks.

Edited by =S.N.A.F.U.=
  • Like 1
  • thinking3d 2

• Nova    1779

i know these are suggestions an what not but gonna give my opinions on it. not saying you're wrong or anything its just what i want.

1 hour ago, =S.N.A.F.U.= said:

>  Secondly, and I know this goes against what people are used to; getting rid of the CAS jets and UAV, or greatly reducing their ability.

I have now played on a few servers where the Jets have a very limited role. What seems to be the case here, is that there is more reliance on both armour and  teamwork by the troops in the field and the chopper pilots. Without the Jets and UAV bombing the entire IO to smithereens within minutes, the advancements of the troops is slower and the choice of LZ becomes more critical. I have even seen it quite often on our server when we have low population and no one in the Jets.

as you well know its against the rules to just rape an ao with the jet but it does get a little annoying when you get to the ao and the UAV op and jet pilot have destroyed a lot of the armor.

There are a few ways you can go about this:

You can extend the respawn time to much longer than what it is currently.

You can greatly reduce the fuel of the CAS Jets.

You can reduce the arsenal on the CAS Jets & UAV.

well the respawn timer is per ao which i think is fair enough.

the fuel thing. eh i think its fine

reducing the arsenal on the jet is what sounds good. we are already looking at this and i believe we can do this quite easily. perhaps a Neophron with just unguided missiles/rockets. so removing the GBU's. adding the buzzard into the cas rotation since its quite slow. the wipeout again with just unguided rockets.

>     I'd love to see our base moved from the main airfield to one of the others. E.g. the Northeast one. The reasoning for this is we are an invading force, not a defending one. The enemy should control the main bulk of the land mass and its primary areas. To this end, you could even have our current airbase heavily defended by the enemy, making a dangerous area to be near and any missions in or around it would be quite difficult.

problem is is that the other airfields are too small for what we have. plus having the base at say the north east airfield its like 5-10 min flight in a helicopter to get to an ao at the other side of the map like kavala. which people have complained about in the past.

>    Failing the above, I'd like to see some cosmetic changes made to our base.

Move our spawn points to the buildings and hangers to the north in a military area of the airfield. And preferably have our spawn points inside the buildings. (Near where we currently have the side mission area or alternately up near Ironsides.)

im guessing you have been playing ahoy world? i like where our base is. i just think the side base for a main base its too small. the ironside spawn could work

Have multiple AA defence systems at either end of the field. Having it in the centre doesn't make too much sense.

yes this needs to happen

Have two bobcats (or vehicles like them) available. One that stays at the air base to do repairs and cleanup, the other to go out in the field. (Maybe spawn at the FOB). The one at base would simply de-spawn when taken outside the radius of the base so that one will always remain there for the uses of cleaning up the base.

on the list of things to do

I'd also like to take this opportunity to thank all of those working on this game. As somebody who has programmed on it in the past, I understand how difficult it can be. So again, my thanks.

:blush:

• Like 1

Fitz    1239

I've been on a few different servers as well lately, seeing how they operate.

The CAS thing is mostly the same on the ones I've seen; they aren't allowed to kill everything/must be called in. Don't know what their jet loadouts are like though.

Although there's ones without any restrictions and I've even seen one server where there's 10 pilot slots, 5 for CAS :weary:. Then, on the other end of the spectrum, there's Quik's US Tanoa server which has a single whitelisted CAS slot and stricter ROE.

Their ROE states that every request must be typed in Side chat by infantry near the objective/target. They aren't free to engage AA targets either, only other jets. These two ROE changes look like a good idea to me.

I'm going to play around with the frequency of enemy jet spawns so the friendly one/s have something to do instead of flying around in circles.

I think per-AO CAS jet spawn is fine/long enough. The AA jet spawns more frequently obviously, but that's useless against ground targets.

Active UAV limit will be reduced to 1 from 2.

Not too keen on changing the base location.

Airfield-only Bobcat and other changes I just mentioned will be added within 24 hours :smile:

• Seems Good 1
    • Pogchamp 1
    • lul 1

Zombine45    177
    4 hours ago, Fitz said:

They aren't free to engage AA targets either, only other jets.

When the change to allow CAS to engage AA threats came in i thought it was pretty fair, but now pilots seem to be so on top of things that all enemy AA vehicles are destroyed within minutes of the AO starting. I agree completely with stricter ROE for CAS vehicles. I'm actually starting to get sick of how casual pilots are about choosing an AO.

Personally i don't think you should be able to land within 1km of the AO because of AA threats (discounting terrain advantages) for atleast 10-15 minutes after the AO starts. But this is just my opinion and not to be taken seriously.

Also, have you ever considered having static AT and AA in the AO? Maybe not in abundance, but with increasing frequency as you get closer to the HQ.

Kyroe    64

im seeing he AA being taken out quickly as a skill of pilots increasing over time. used to be a hassle alot. not they have gotten the skills to take care of the AA quickly. some with coordination form ground. but also. can't discount some people my have armour near the AO already when it changes. there fore allowing armour some activity and clearing out the AA threats. (Note this is about AA threats alone on my experience and what i've seen recently)

• Like 1
    • thinking3d 1

Nova    1779
    13 hours ago, Zombine45 said:

Personally i don't think you should be able to land within 1km of the AO because of AA threats

no one wants to run over a kilometer just to get to the ao and die. people already complain if you land out too far

• thinking3d 1

Zombine45    177
    2 hours ago, InfamousNova said:

no one wants to run over a kilometer just to get to the ao and die. people already complain if you land out too far

I'm well aware of that, which is why i stated it as my opinion. I just sometimes feel that people have become pretty entitled to being able to land really close to the AO (Sometimes even inside it). Again, not suggesting any rule or scenario changes, just voicing my opinion.

Tungsten    69

I would not mind seeing the Ground Attack Jets swapped out for something more interactive with the Infantry, like an Attack Heli or an Armed Blackfish which can also do other roles other then just destroying things

I would really like to see the Fire Support Group brought more into prominence, either by expanding there current capabilities or giving them more jobs to fulfill, like acting as a Command squad or Logistics Group operating out of the FOB or near the AO, supporting infantry in the AO with Emplaced weapons or directing support Assets

Edited by Tungsten
    • Like 1

Nova    1779
    43 minutes ago, Tungsten said:

I would not mind seeing the Ground Attack Jets swapped out for something more interactive with the Infantry, like an Attack Heli or an Armed Blackfish

i too would like to see this. so its a more coop type of gameplay but then again most pilots choose to use an AI gunner so whats the point. also armed blackfish is pretty trash.

44 minutes ago, Tungsten said:

a Command squad

dont see this working tbh. most people wouldnt listen

45 minutes ago, Tungsten said:

supporting infantry in the AO with Emplaced weapons or directing support Assets

maybe have an FSG vehicle spawn at the FOB? with turret bags and mortars an what not in the inventory?

• thinking3d 1

Tungsten    69
    On 8/21/2017 at 8:02 PM, InfamousNova said:

i too would like to see this. so its a more coop type of gameplay but then again most pilots choose to use an AI gunner so whats the point. also armed blackfish is pretty trash.

dont see this working tbh. most people wouldnt listen

maybe have an FSG vehicle spawn at the FOB? with turret bags and mortars an what not in the inventory?

Honestly, using AI as gunners over players loses its novelty after a while, players are just straight up better as gunners and the interaction between pilot and gunner make it quite interesting as well, and most of the more experienced pilots know this and try to pass the reasons why onto those that don't, usually with success.

The Armed Black fish is not trash, but rather requires traits that are rare on this server, it required outside help to ensure its operational safety, like an AA jet and ground forces to eliminate ground based AA, add in the facts that it can act as an AWACS and a multi eyed manned UAV, i think it would be a good fit with some shuffling around.

The idea for a command squad is not to direct everything, because the infantry is going to do what it wants regardless, but rather to regulate tasking requests or inform the relivent parties of threats to them and keep track of the threat, EG AA threats to pilots, getting logistics to areas ahead of time in addition to standard FSG duties. Most of these parties, like Ironside, FSG and Pilots already watch for and respond to calls already, so this is just taking advantage of that, especially with the recent changes to Air and Fire Support ROE, which has turned the long rooted habits upside down.

The main problems with FSG currently is their lack of Mobility, the long set up time of the Mortars and Static AT/AA, especially for the further put AOs and the lack of interest in there support and in the role in general, add in the fact its only 2 people cus UAV does its own thing anyway

Edited by Tungsten

Nova    1779
    16 minutes ago, Tungsten said:

Honestly, using AIs over players loses its novelty after a while, players are just straight up better as gunners

:waitwhat:

• Wait What? 2

Tungsten    69

try using a AI gunner for long periods and you notice what i mean, the AI wont engage any targets that are slightly obscured, it takes them a second more to register threats even if they are right in front of you, they don't prioritize targets, they don't switch to more effective weaponry for the job, they don't inform you of dangers or other information like ammo count, MANPADS or bad positioning, all AI gunners are good for engaging targets that are in wide open areas with no cover, using them in a high cover area and they become a liability

• Like 1