decibel_spl

Whitelisting of CAS

decibel_spl    76

I myself have had enough of CAS: there are too many people going up in it doing whatever they want (losing it too quickly as well) and forgetting that we're playing on an infantry based server in which the CAS is a secondary role  to assist the ground forces.

It has been suggested and agreed upon by a lot of pilots, so therefore I am formally suggesting to staff that the CAS jets (Neophron and A-10) be whitelisted to pilots who are deemed to be capable to flying it appropriate to it's role in the server.

- NB, this has nothing to do with whitelist slots and the idea of paying to use CAS

This whitelisting would be done via application and decided upon by a vote of yay/nay by a group of trusted pilots who fly CAS regularly and know what they are doing. Just to name a few there's Tungsten, snaf, lazy, and tracer just to name 4. This can be done on the server and doesn't require extra time from staff determining who is and isn't capable and would require minimal work to upkeep.

I myself agree with the ongoing topic of CAS requiring an overhaul and this is one small step that can improve our current situation without modifying anything too big 

Edited by decibel_spl
  • Like 1
  • Dansgame 1

• Nova    1779
    48 minutes ago, decibel_spl said:

decided upon by a vote of yay/nay by a group of trusted pilots who fly CAS regularly and know what they are doing. Just to name a few there's Tungsten, snaf, lazy, and tracer just to name 4.

what if a pilot that you dont like is good at flying cas? you are gonna have bias to not wanting him to fly. also the server has to be restarted in order to whitelist so staff would still be needed

i agree that there are trash cas pilots but whitelisting seems like a meh idea

• Like 1

decibel_spl    76

Nova, being good at flying cas and flying it properly to the server are two different things. I'm sure that said pilots have maturity enough to not have bias in saying whether someone shouldn't and should be allowed to fly it - I know i think every time i see a CAS pilot who adheres to the ROE, doesn't do what they want and can take out a target they should be the ones to fly it regardless whether i hate their guts or not.

As to the whitelisting issue, yes ok that is problematic and can put a stop to my idea

Fitz    1239

Creating a CAS whitelist or something similar is already on the to-do list, I just haven't had enough time to do it as it requires the implementation of a new database.

If we decide to do a whitelist with an application process, who gets accepted and who doesn't will be decided on by staff.

• Like 3

Yeet    193

A CAS whitelist would probably be the best idea, I myself have at points gone off the rails at a few CAS pilots..

Edited by Yeet

Ora209    142
    8 minutes ago, Yeet said:

I myself have at points gone off the rails at a few CAS pilots..

thats the price of playing on a public server

• Like 1

Travesty    265
    2 hours ago, InfamousNova said:

what if a pilot that you dont like is good at flying cas? you are gonna have bias to not wanting him to fly. also the server has to be restarted in order to whitelist so staff would still be needed

i agree that there are trash cas pilots but whitelisting seems like a meh idea

A whitelist should provide access to additional benefits within a server, not present a barrier to entry for newer players that could stunt the growth of the I&A server.

For example: A newer player, being competent but having never played on the server before, tries to fly CAS late one night and can't because they've not been tested/approved/annointed by staff Etc. That player then goes and plays on another server because their experience was affected by this rule.

I also fail to see the return on time invested to implement this versus the desired impact on the server considering the current limited role CAS has in I&A.

If you really want to address the issue of bad CAS pilots then provide helpful guidance and advice to newer players on how to improve instead of tearing them down.
    I've witnessed you going off the rails on other pilots, and frankly it's not helpful in the least.

We should show the same patience others have shown newer players who joined the server, otherwise no real progress will be made.

EDIT: Generalised the last sentence, because decibel isn't the only player with this issue.

Edited by Travesty
    • Like 4

decibel_spl    76

Trav, I understand your point and I respect your opinion.

Sometimes it's not always possible to simply educate these pilots on how it should be and more often than not, the times we are complaining is when you have some idiot that wants to do it 'for the lolz' or are so ignorant and big-headed they just won't listen to suggestion and will continue to do as such.

This proposed idea is my solution to the problem of the random idiot jumping in the plane and causing havoc - I have nothing against a player who is willing to learn and will happily teach them myself, although in this day and age unfortunately the idiots outweigh these people.

I see that this specific idea is not liked by staff, so I will drop the suggestion - perhaps you may be able think of something better than I. I just want what's best for the majority of people.

Please lock this thread, thanks

Edited by decibel_spl