Qeus

1.56 update and how it affects us

Qeus    198

Hi soldiers,

thought I'd make a brief post with how the 1.56 update affects us.

https://dev.arma3.com/post/spotrep-00052

First, if you'd like to contribute to development and have some fun too, create an 'enemy HQ':

1. Load up 3DEN editor

2. Create an HQ and save the composition.

3. Submit to us somehow

4. If its good enough and meets the design requirements, we'll implement it into I&A and insert your name into the Contributors section of the Credits.

Design requirements for designing an HQ:

•  Reasonably modest area/footprint. Use current HQs as a size reference.
  •  3+ entrances
  •  Not an alcatraz-like fort, should be reasonably difficult to defend.
  •  No large military towers (AI not good at breaching and clearing them)
  •  No ArmA 2 assets (the AI doesn't know how to use them).
  •  A few blind spots to allow both players and enemies to get close
  •  Sufficient cover for players to hide from nearby armored vehicles
  • Facing all directions. HQs are put in a position facing a random direction. Players must be able to address most directions.

How 1.56 affects us:

- More aggressive and responsive AI. The door has been opened to start work on custom AI maneuvers (pin and flank, bounding overwatch, bayonet charge, etc). We have big plans for the long term (3+ months), which includes elaborating on AI tactical and maneuvering behavior. We will be phasing in some of the AI aggression options over this weekend, it is not default behavior.

- Heli inserts. Enemy AI helicopters are now able to effectively do transport insertions of soldiers, expect to see this being used both in the mission systems and from Zeus operators.

- RIP old text font, better get used to new one :(

- New patrol walk animation. Should make it more compelling to use Stamina (through your [Home] menu).

- New weapon and vehicle FX/sounds (Combat Audio)

- Smaller tank explosions

- Group Management optimizations (scroll issue remains)

- A stack of new engine commands to replace obsolete scripting solutions, which will optimize performance in many small ways.

- Slightly improved security options. Without going into detail, this is already a high security server to protect from trolls and script kiddies, so we'll utilize the new toys to keep the server as resistant to kiddies as is reasonably possible.

- Developer Analytics. To disable, in your launcher, at the top there is an 'Options' button. The top option is 'Launcher options'. Expand that, and a few options down is the 'Enable Analytics' option. In development they said it would be Opt-In. With the release, it is in fact Opt-Out. I have left it enabled on my machine but disabled on the server to maximize performance and reduce network traffic. Enabling/Disabling on your own machine will not give you better FPS in I&A either way, as the performance bottleneck is serverside CPU clock and bandwidth.

Post anything you think was missed.

Regards,

Quiksilver

Edited by Qeus
  • Like 3

• Kalthramis    58

Forewarning about custom hq's: DO NOT use lots of small objects, and don't place a lot in the middle. Bear in mind hunters and bobcats and arsenal crates are usually put in the HQ. 

Remember the hq is CSAT owned. 

The AI is BETTER at landing in combat, but still has issues doing so. 

As for this patch, the Greyhawks no longer shake when lasing with the turret. So UAV operators can lase with one, bomb with the other. A few other minor UAV issues were also tweaked.

Virtually all the stance issues have been fixed, particularly with binoculars and pistols. 

You can fall from farther heights without dying, making helo hover dropoffs easier. 

Parallaxing has been overhauled. Meaning distant enemies wont sink into the ground :D

doors have greater priority, meaning you should al

ost always be able to just press spacebar to open/close doors.

Also note worthy! Arsenal GUI has been tweaked to show the ballistic and explosive damage resistances for armor. CSAT clothing has been made heavier to compensate for its armor (finally), and the range for guns in arsenal is based off the proper value. Bullets going beyond this range lose lethality very quickly.

I think Quick covered the rest of the major fixes. 

Edited by Kalthramis
    • Like 1

Zombine45    177

@Qeus Just so i'm clear, when you say Arma2 assets are you referring to these?

2016-02-19_00001.jpg

Edited by Zombine45

Kalthramis    58

A nice fella did some fall damage testing. Looks like people start flinching from damage at 4m, and dying at 12m. Useful stuff for pilots.

• Like 1

Qeus    198

looks great

perfect size

i would widen one entrance wide enough to comfortably fit a zamak/tempest transport truck but other than that looks solid.

Fitz    1239

I'd like to put more things on the inside like in the second pic but not too sure how that would affect performance.

All the entrances can fit a tank or truck but I will widen the southern entrance just to be safe.

Kalthramis    58

Yeah it can. I'll give it some testing to see how finicky arma is with it when I'm home in a few days. 

I'd also tweak some of the trash and whatnot. Don't want anyone to get trapped, or waste any space. People are also incredible at getting stuck in stupid spots. 

Should we have a subform for hq submissions? The one I submitted could probably use some tweaks and feedback. It's too long, ex, I think.

• Like 1

Qeus    198

Morning guys,

Either tomorrow or Wednesday there will be a 1.56-compatibility mission update for the public server, to apply the above-mentioned stuff.

With respect to the HQs, roughly 50-75 objects max for the whole composition. This is what the rest of the HQs have adhered to and seems to be reasonable standard for performance.

One more thing I forgot to mention which has been enabled for 1.56 ... Scripting of dog (animal) behavior. Should we do anything with dogs?

• Like 1

Kalthramis    58

I demand dogs be a playable race! 

But honestly no. Sounds like a hassle for something unneeded. 

What about size of HQs?

• Like 1

Zombine45    177

I've got a few designs I'd like to put in but i can't for the life of me figure out how to save the object composition as a seperate file. Nor can i figure out how to turn the HUD off in the editor >.<

Zombine45    177

Well, here are my attempts so far, the last one is a bit of a joke so don't take it too seriously!

http://imgur.com/a/ALTD8

(Also disregard the jump in the first one, i wanted to know if i could clear the HQ in an offroad, short story; yes i can.)

Nova    1779

your first hq is too open imo. the second one is probably the best out of all of them besides the entrances being too big

Fitz    1239
    4 hours ago, Zombine45 said:

Well, here are my attempts so far, the last one is a bit of a joke so don't take it too seriously!

http://imgur.com/a/ALTD8

(Also disregard the jump in the first one, i wanted to know if i could clear the HQ in an offroad, short story; yes i can.)

I agree with what Nova said. First one would be better if you replace some of the h-barriers with the shorter ones so you can shoot over them. I don't think that helipad would be able to fit anything but a little bird either.

Second one is good, just maybe make the entrances a bit smaller.

Qeus    198

when you're ready, upload the mission file for it somewhere (i use dropbox), post a link to it here, and we'll do the rest. alternatively you can PM me the link. In the credits tab on the map, we'll create a section for base/composition designers. There are some more we'll have to do in a few weeks, but HQs is a good warmup due to the tight size requirements.

Nova    1779

heres my hq. its not entirely finished. i am probably going to make it smaller. its really bad but tell me what you think

2016-02-23_00002.jpg

2016-02-23_00001.jpg

• Like 2

Qeus    198

Lookin good guys.

If you'd like your HQ designs on the server, please get me the mission.sqm file and we'll implement them.

We are putting the first 3 submissions (one from Fitz, two from Kalthramis) on the server today, into the HQ rotation.

Edited by Qeus
    • Like 3