Zombine45

Heavy Armour Slot

Zombine45    177

Recently I've been seeing more and more people taking MBT's and other heavy vehicles to the AO and dying within 2 minutes of them getting there, as someone who takes driving an armoured vehicle pretty seriously, this annoys me to no end. Especially when those people waste a kuma and have it replaced by a slammer (Those who know me should know that my hatred for the slammer is powered by the fury of a thousand suns).

It is for this reason (And a couple other smaller reasons) that i propose the Heavy Armour slot. This slot, would allow players access to MBT's and other heavy vehicles (This would require removing the MBT's from the main car park) This slot, like the pilot slot, would require players to be on teamspeak (Probably in a different channel to the pilots as that channel gets pretty crowded), it would require them to know how to use what they are driving and to work as a team while using it. I was thinking maybe 2-3 of these slots plus one whitelisted.

I think their vehicle area, like that of the pilots, should be split off from the main spawn of the airbase, with permanent spawns for slammers[apparently some people like them?], kuma's, AFV-5's (@Qeus) and maybe an AA vehicle. Plus a few AI around for crew, so we don't need to have all of the heavy armour players in the same vehicle.

This is something I've had on my mind for a while now, I've been slowly constructing it into a full idea and i think its ready for serious consideration, what does everyone else think?

• Like 3

• Kalthramis    58

I'm not against it, as long as it's only a few slots. Would you want helo lifting in this case, since it'd be restricted? 

Zombine45    177
    10 minutes ago, Kalthramis said:

I'm not against it, as long as it's only a few slots. Would you want helo lifting in this case, since it'd be restricted? 

Personally i think the drive to and from the AO is all part of the tanking experience, and i still think we need the offset to keep it balanced, even if it is a few slots.

Plus there is always the respawn if the new AO appears 25km away on the other side of the map.

• Like 1

Kalthramis    58
    14 minutes ago, Zombine45 said:

Personally i think the drive to and from the AO is all part of the tanking experience, and i still think we need the offset to keep it balanced, even if it is a few slots.

Plus there is always the respawn if the new AO appears 25km away on the other side of the map.

Alright. Should there be any more mechanics for tank unlocks? Ex, a new T-100 per AO? I'm not experience with what's good/bad and how long stuff lasts.

• Like 1

Zombine45    177
    13 minutes ago, Kalthramis said:

Alright. Should there be any more mechanics for tank unlocks? Ex, a new T-100 per AO? I'm not experience with what's good/bad and how long stuff lasts.

I was thinking maybe something like how the CAS jet is a once per AO type of thing. It all depends who is driving it, if you have someone who is pretty new, then once per AO would be really good, in most cases instant spawn isn't much of a deterrent to play tactically.

• Like 1

Qeus    198

Speaking of tanks, we can reveal that NATO has approved budget for audible missile warning systems installed in our armored vehicles. They are being installed as we speak.

• Like 2

Zombine45    177
    46 minutes ago, Kalthramis said:

@Zombine45 What are your thoughts on bobcats being liftable, since they're so damn slow?

Personally, i would say yes, but from a balance perspective I'm not sure, as the bobcat is just about as heavy as a Kuma and has a lot of utility to it, such as clearing mines

Kalthramis    58
    Just now, Zombine45 said:

Personally, i would say yes, but from a balance perspective I'm not sure, as the bobcat is just about as heavy as a Kuma and has a lot of utility to it, such as clearing mines

Maybe, but I've never seen it used for mines, particularly since it takes so long to move. It's literally the slowest vehicle in the game, so a lot of people don't use it unless it's really close to the AO. I've tossed some AI in it to move it before, but they don't usually get there before the AO finishes.

Zombine45    177

Haha yea the AI cant drive to save themselves. Yea i don't see it used for mines very often either.

• Like 1

Tungsten    69

Sorry for the Revive after 4 months but i dont see the point in making a new topic that zombine has already covered most of.

I think the Armored aspect of the server might need a look at; either allocated slots as zombine suggested or some rules applied, cus some people either take a tank with only one person to crew all of it and basically waste a perfectly good tank by using it as a 120mm sniper rifle or take an AI crew and drive straight in and just stomp entire AO's on a scale larger then CAS can ever do due to the HUGE decline in the threat AT infantry pose to tanks (no seriously the AI are so bad at aiming alamuts that they need to be point blank to actually cause concern)

Another thing i have seen recently is people taking 2 or 3 tanks and/or APCs and all of the AI and basically crewing entire tank with AI and have it command them from a hunter or something

Edited by Tungsten
    adding more text
    • Like 2

Zombine45    177

Frankly, i'm starting to get sick of seeing Autoriflemen taking MBTs into the AO.

Dak Commstar    139

I think for the server having such a large player number, usually filling all slots with people waiting to join, imposing restrictions upon players for something non essential like a tank, as AT soldiers, alamut carriers and riflemen in general can perform all the same tasks, might garner a negative opinion from the rest of the player base. A tank is essentially just a bullet proof box when you have 20 other people performing the same task however un-coordinated they may be. Adding an additional place for reserve vehicles accessible for white-listed  players would be the better option. The carpark usually goes empty when the AO is close enough so demmand for armor by the majority of players is very high.

Coco    4

Hey everyone, 

I thought I'd add to your topic from own experiences recently regarding MBT's and armour in general. 

I usually am a pilot and enjoy it so much that if I don't get a slot when I join, I just won't play on the server... BUT this week I thought heck, lets be an Engie and get in a tank. I fire up the M2A4 and ask anyone if they would like to gun, no reply in side chat. I ask the guys in TS3 if they would like to gun, "we're good". SO I take off on my own and rack up a few kills and get blown off the mountain top. Respawn and there is the MBT waiting for me. 

The AO is on the West coast and so I drive 12 clicks again only to arrive 2 clicks short as the AO is complete and the new AO respawns now in the far NE corner. So I drive 20 clicks and let me tell ya, averaging 50km it takes 15 minutes plus to get where I think is a good spot, only to arrive with the radio tower down, all enemy vehicles destroyed and a few EI in small groups. SO i gun down a few baddies with the 12.7 and the AO is complete. Now the AO is close to our base and at this point I'm thinking, man this is getting tedious, wish we could transport a MBT with the Huron or Blackfish.

So I respawn not wanting to drive all the way back, run out to the parking lot and guess what... no armour to be found, the lot is empty.  

Now keep in mind I was not the only one chasing the AO's around in vehicles. There were other players in Marshals and even one guy with a drone and ammo crate on the back driving long distances. 

The points I make are, you don't always know why a player is in the tank by himself, chasing AO's in slow vehicles is not fun and there should be a way to transport a heavy MBT for we can transport everything else, so why restrict heavies and yes, adding another MBT to the mix would be a great addition... I'm sure it would not sit in the parking lot too long when the server is busy. 

Would the demand for MBT's to be transported be more of a necessity if they don't respawn if they are abandoned but only respawn if they are destroyed by the enemy?

Another idea... is it possible to have an increase of MBT's added to the side mission gifts when completed successfully? 

And finally, would increasing the slots from 60 to 65 make an impact on the server? 

• Like 1

Nova    1779

Hey transporting tanks is something we looked at but just isn't a possibility because we are restricted to scripts. Increasing slots is gonna cause more lag. As you might know during a defend full server it's already pretty laggy. For the tanks spawning. When there's 3-5 armored vehicles in the ao there's not much for infantry to do. Hence why there are not many armored vehicles at base. We could do Zeus missions for tanks if you wanted to

• Like 3

Fitz    1239
    1 hour ago, Coco said:

Also, the FOB system means that a bunch (5+) of AOs spawn fairly close to eachother or in the same quadrant of the map so you shouldn't have to drive for too long between AOs unless the FOB changes.

As Nova said, we can't have too many tanks in each AO as there won't be anything left for the infantry to do.

• Like 3

Rogmantosh    242

There has been an increasing amount of tank drivers especially with the recruit-able AI. 

I'm not going to rule this out. we have a 70 slot server now and I personally don't see why not. 
    I will have to read up on the BI Monetization https://www.bistudio.com/monetization for whether white-list tanks are a possibility but I don't believe they are.

Lifting tanks... This is possible, though not truly realistic, late at night it isn't uncommon to see me with a humming bird flying someones tank nearer to an AO.

The Slots for Tankers I believe is a credible idea and would like some further input on the idea. (Unit role/ Tank types/ etc)

Nova    1779

i think a good idea would be to add like a tank crew slot. so like

Alpha 4-5
    Tank Commander (Engineer)
    Tank Driver (Engineer)
    Tank Gunner (not engineer)

i dont believe whitelisted tanks are gonna be possible since it gives you an advantage over other players but adding more tanks to the carpark would be good

Tracuer    92

MORE TANKS!!!!!!

As a regular tanker it does get annoying getting on and seeing no tanks. But TBH, I'm also getting sick of the whole getting AI in the tank and NOT wanting human crew AT ALL... I mean yeah, sometimes you get people that don't know what they are doing. But having a human crew in a tank is the BEST fun! Working together while on the field of combat with communication and having more eyes than just the one are a few things that make human crew so good. So the addition of dedicated "Tank Crewmen" slots would hopefully help encourage the idea of having human crew, if they choose that slot, then they WANT to tank. 

24 minutes ago, InfamousNova said:

Alpha 4-5
    Tank Driver (Engineer)

I like this layout :D maybe 2 or 3 tank crew groups would be nice, depending on how many tanks we want in the car park.

• Like 1

Rogmantosh    242
    11 hours ago, InfamousNova said:

Alpha 4-5
    Tank Driver (Engineer)

Have been thinking of this idea and toying with the idea of removing golf squad to replace with Armoured Division (2 sets of the above). thoughts?

• Like 2

Nova    1779
    9 hours ago, Rogmantosh said:

Have been thinking of this idea and toying with the idea of removing golf squad to replace with Armoured Division (2 sets of the above). thoughts?

i dunno about removing the squad. i think adding it would be a good idea since when server peaks all the squads are full. adding the squads will give more options and variety