War Machine

Dedicated Vehicle for Mortar Crew

War Machine    40

So, I just learned that in order to have a mortar, you need two things; a folded bipod and a folded mortar tube. Both are in backpack form; however, you can just carry one. Unless you get a vehicle and load those two in.

As far as I know, there is no vehicle that have those two in its inventory. It is a bit of a hassle to go back and fort to a virtual arsenal just to load those things in.

I'm suggesting a dedicated vehicle (prowler/qilin/hunter) in the vehicle spawn area that have at least 2 mortar bipods and 2 mortar tubes in it.

• thonking 1

• Zombine45    177

The vehicle inventory editor can solve this problem very easily. Look for the spaces marked "Inventory" in the car park and crate area to use them.

• Like 3

War Machine    40
    23 minutes ago, Zombine45 said:

The vehicle inventory editor can solve this problem very easily. Look for the spaces marked "Inventory" in the car park and crate area to use them.

I tried, but; it wouldn't load the mortar

pkisbest    198

The vehicle likely didn’t have space for it.

In future I would use the Cargo Van, as it can fit something like 20 tubes in it.

Edited by pkisbest

Mann    39
    1. Find vehicle of choice
    2. Go to Vehicle Inventory area
    3. Find the ammo boxes within the barriers
    4. Load the ammo box full of mortar tubes and bipods
    5. Drag/carry the crate and load it into the vehicle (Scroll-wheel option)
    6. Drive to mortar position
    7. Unload crate
    8. Take tubes and bipods out of Inventory of ammo box
    9. Setup mortar
    10. ???
    11. Profit
    • Like 3
    • Wesmart 1

War Machine    40
    6 hours ago, Mann said:
    1. Find vehicle of choice
    2. Go to Vehicle Inventory area
    3. Find the ammo boxes within the barriers
    4. Load the ammo box full of mortar tubes and bipods
    5. Drag/carry the crate and load it into the vehicle (Scroll-wheel option)
    6. Drive to mortar position
    7. Unload crate
    8. Take tubes and bipods out of Inventory of ammo box
    9. Setup mortar
    10. ???
    11. Profit

it worked, the crates work, cheers mate

Goose_    31

For those who don't know you can Tow mortars with Pickups or the small civie truck and have a mobile mortar position that way.

• Like 1

Snohman    52
    On 2/23/2019 at 11:53 PM, Goose_ said:

For those who don't know you can Tow mortars with Pickups or the small civie truck and have a mobile mortar position that way.

Good point Goose. will have to try that next time i'm in the mood to make it rain. that said, you still have to setup out at the AO becuase you cant assemble things at the airfield.

I totally support @War Machine's point. the MK6 gunner spot is the only one that isn't set up to get right into the fight and i definalty support a dedicated vehicle being there ready to go. One of the major frustrations with the role is having to spend all that time getting the gear ready before you have to drive out. god helpyou if it's sofia, Oreokastro or feres. even more frustrating is that some of the cars wont even load in backpacks when they are empty (looking at you quillin)

I'm definatly in support of either a truck or 4wd with one setup in the tray, or at least the backpacks already stashed in a vehicle.

that said, if i had an option, i'd have the below setup with the recon nyx.....

fire support Nyx.jpg

• Like 1
    • Pogchamp 1
    • wooow 1

webbie    186

It doesn't actually have to be this vehicle even just an off-road with attachto would do the trick.

lentz    1

Just add the zamak MRLS with a locked range setting of 2000-3000m,  and only crewable by arty operator. simple easy dedicated arty vehicle,

Zombine45    177
    7 hours ago, lentz said:

Just add the zamak MRLS with a locked range setting of 2000-3000m,  and only crewable by arty operator. simple easy dedicated arty vehicle,

We had the Zamak MRL in for a while as a veteran only vehicle, but people abused it so it was removed.

lentz    1
    On 4/8/2019 at 3:03 PM, Zombine45 said:

We had the Zamak MRL in for a while as a veteran only vehicle, but people abused it so it was removed.

I had a look at it and its limits, I think a range locked Zamak would be viable and hard to abuse with current requesting of Support fire rulings

SkylerBB    26

we used to have a mortar vehicle...kinda….Zarmark MRL which was for the vets....and its use...was over used. 

A Zarmark with the mortar on the back maybe something else that could be useful. can load it full of tubes and bipods and have one ready to go at all times. 

Killroy    1

I decided to give the Mortar position a try in I&A a few days ago.

I had read the above posts so knew the basics of what was required for the job.

I went to the crates area and loaded 6 tubes and bi-pods in and then loaded said crate into one of the Striders and then headed off to the AO. It was a 10k drive. I picked a location on the map that would give me good cover but close to the AO so the mortar rounds flight time would be around the 40 second mark. Unloaded the box out of the Strider and went to set up a mortar but found the crate to be empty. Checked the Strider for the missing gear but no joy. Thought I must have "FU" and decided to re-spawn all the gear and myself and try it again. This time for a vehicle I picked the Hunter. Repeated the process and drove the 10k's back to the AO and went to set up again but the crate was empty for the second time.

At this point I decided to just hang with the rest of the players and give the mortar position a miss. Later on I herd one of the pilots say he was going to drop an ammo crate off at the AO and asked what ammo was needed there. After taking requests an ammo crate arrived at the AO but was found to have all the original equipment in it. The pilot tried again. Still no joy. The pilot did sound like he new what he was doing and I got the impression he was a veteran A&I player. (No names no courts marshals).

So to ask a question. What am I doing wrong or is the crate thing bugged? I got the impression it is the latter.

Killroy out.

Zombine45    177

I've noticed a lot of problems with using the vehicle inventory system recently, namely it just not putting gear into the thing you're working on, be it crate or actual vehicle. The only things i can get to stay in it are toolkits and medical kits. @Fitz

• Like 1

Killroy    1
    18 hours ago, Zombine45 said:

I've noticed a lot of problems with using the vehicle inventory system recently, namely it just not putting gear into the thing you're working on, be it crate or actual vehicle. The only things i can get to stay in it are toolkits and medical kits. @Fitz

So its not just me then. Cheers.

Killroy    1

After a bit of trial and a lot of error I managed to get a few mortars set up on an AO with varying results. I can get 4 tubes and 4 bipods in a Strider without removing any of the existing loadout just by using the available space already in the Strider by transferring a singly item one at a time from an Arsenal box. I am not sure yet if you can just load one bipod and the rest tubes into a vehicle and swap the bipod to a new tube when you run out of rounds. I am glad it worked in the end as it was a 10km trip to the AO. With a JTAC (Nuggs) marking targets and me sitting a "K" back from the AO we managed to do a bit of damage. I did find on a few shots that they dropped well short of the target but that's just like it is in real life. Mortar operators are called "Drop Short" in RL for a reason.

Killroy    1
    On 6/6/2019 at 3:11 PM, Corporal Kerry said:

I am pretty sure the tube carries ammo. Try reusing a bipod. Should be able to.

Thanks mate. Will give it a try next time I'm on.